We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day in Naples - must see places & getting about

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 31
Day in Naples - must see places & getting about

Hi Everyone

We a family of 2 adults and 2 children (11 & 13) who are staying in Sorrento, but we are hoping to go to Naples for the day, and really just wondered what others would consider 'must see places'.

We are getting the train, so will be relying mainly on walking around or public transport once we get there. Just wondered about the scale of the city too - is it fairly compact or quite sprawling? Are most of the sights within walking distance or would it be advisable to get

bus/underground tickets?

I imagine Naples is similar to other busy cities with regards to safety etc, but also wondered if there are any areas which a tourist should avoid straying in to.

Many thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
reviews: 125
1. Re: Day in Naples - must see places & getting about

I believe you've already asked this question but added a few more details?

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k6…

Last time you didn't mention the kids - Naples Underground is a great tour which they would probably love:

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g187785…

Have a look here for more ideas

http://www.napoliunplugged.com/

The main sights - the Archaeological Museum, Historic Centre, bay front are all walking distance. You may just want to get the metro from Napoli Centrale - where your train from Sorrento stops - to the historic centre - Museo or Dante are convenient stops. There are no areas to avoid around here. It is all safe as any other big city - just be aware of your belongings etc. and you'll be fine.

Edited: 5:52 pm, July 03, 2013
UK
2. Re: Day in Naples - must see places & getting about

Hi Kathy

Thanks for your reply - I'm so glad you spotted my other message. I had one of those days when I thought I had posted it, but when I came to look for it again, I couldn't find it, so I thought I must have dreamt doing it!! Honestly! ha ha

Thanks for the tips, they are greatly appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
reviews: 125
3. Re: Day in Naples - must see places & getting about

Haha! I understand! :)

Whatever you do, make time for pizza. The pizzas they make in Naples do taste spectacular. I dream of Neapolitan pizza .....

This one is near the archaeological museum if you're in that area:

tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g187785…

This one has only just opened - run by the famous Sorbillo family - and is on the waterfront in a beautiful location

And this one is famous worldwide!

UK
4. Re: Day in Naples - must see places & getting about

Fab! That is brilliant, thank you :)

5. Re: Day in Naples - must see places & getting about

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 06, 2014