We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I love Naples

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 2
I love Naples

Nothing more to add right now, packing my bags as I leave today. 130 PM flight (unclear if I should hold out until 11 AM to LEAVE the Hotel Excelsior).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
reviews: 134
1. Re: I love Naples

Please tell us what you loved - the Excelsior is beautiful isn't it! Post a trip report on here when it's convenient.

Washington DC...
2. Re: I love Naples

Hi Kathy!

At some point I will have a lot of my blog:

http://skywalkerbeth.blogspot.com

Photos and whatnot. I'm pretty far behind on it, right now the last photo is a few months old. But I do plan to catch up - meanwhile if you are really bored there are already a lot of other photos on there.

What did I love? The energy. The friendliness. The food. I only saw a tiny slice - yesterday - but I want to come back and spend more time. Naples is VERY under rated I think. I wonder why...

Washington DC...
3. Re: I love Naples

ps. yes, the Excelsior is fantastic. I took a number of photos of it...

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 53
4. Re: I love Naples

If you are flying back to the states, be AT the airport three hours in advance. Less if you are flying to another Schengen state.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
5. Re: I love Naples

Your blog is BEAUTIFUL! Can't wait to see all the latest photos from Positano, Naples and your other travels. Safe journey home, Beth.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
6. Re: I love Naples

Beth - before I went to Naples for the first time, I was told it was a crazy place full of violent criminals who would mug you for your $5 watch and leave you bleeding on the street. What nonsense. I think it's rumour and scaremongering which is sad for Naples' businesses - imagine if as many people visited it as visit, say, Florence?

Then again, I imagine Naples packed to the eyeballs with tourists - as Florence and Venice - and I cringe. I think Naples' charm lies in its lack of swarming visitors and its gritty, earthy beauty.

I think some visitors to Italy want the sanitised 'Under the Tuscan Sun' version - which is why they high-tail it to Sorrento as fast as they can. It's a shame as so much is to be seen and savoured in Naples but it's ignored and dismissed in favour of a 'safe' place.

So interested in your thoughts as a single young woman on the streets there. Were you told you'd get thrown under a bus/run over by a scooter/captured by the Camorra if you dared go there? It's all so silly but hey, you now know the truth!

New York City, New...
reviews: 10
7. Re: I love Naples

Unfortunately, I think part of the issue for some people re: Naples is the way it looks - it is not all spruced up and quaint looking like, as said, some other cities in Italy and so assumptions are made. It doesn't look like what a lot of people expect for Italy to look like and so it gets short shrift. And, there have been incidents of chain snatching, etc but, honestly, no more than I have read about any other big city.

I love the chaos and vibrancy and the fact that you really feel the 3000 plus years in a way (hard to describe) - I find it incredibly charming and appealing and, I too am not disappointed that the usual crowds of tourists haven't put it on their radar because it makes it more pleasant to explore. Places in Naples that would be "must sees" if they were in another city, are not overflowing with long lines, etc.

I'm solo traveler as well and will be back there in the Fall - can't wait. Glad you enjoyed it, even if you only just got your first taste of it.

I never pay much attention to the over wrought exclamations of warnings about Naples (and a few other places) - I use my usual personal precautions re: my stuff and know I've done what I can to secure my belongings; sure, something could happen but I'd never leave home if I listened to a lot of the hues and cries. Common sense and awareness of surroundings go a long way to help keeping one just fine.

Hagerstown, Maryland
reviews: 28
8. Re: I love Naples

Another Washington, DCer who loves Naples?? Awesome!

(I just moved to a small town nearby after living there for 22 years)

I've been to quite a few places in Italy (over 9 trips) and loved pretty much all of them, but Naples is the one place that truly stole my heart. I just love being there so damn much. Especially wandering the ancient streets of the historic center. So many strange and wonderful treasures to discover.

When you return, I highly recommend a visit to the Fontanelle Cemetery!

Shots from my most recent visit (Spring of 2012). Possibly my last visit, but I do hope I'm wrong about that...

flickr.com/photos/…

Bologna, Italy
reviews: 19
9. Re: I love Naples

Thank you so much for your declaration of love! Actually it's pretty sad that Naples is such an underrated city, especially if you consider that is historically is one of the most important cities in Europe. Ok, there are still many problems here, but all of this shouldn't prevent tourists from visiting our city and appreciating its treasures. About the lack of tourists, I have mixed feelings as well: as I said previously, more tourists in Naples would be so appreciated, but when I'm in other big Italian cities and realize how much are over-crowded, I feel glad 'cause at least Naples is not assaulted by unconscious tourists. Moreover, I always notice that tourists visiting Naples often are more responsible than the average tourists in other Italian cities: not all of the people in Rome or in Florence want really deepen their knowledge of art of history, many of them go there just to hang around all over the city, buy some tacky souvenirs and get drunk with some cheap wine they estimate refined. It's not a generalization, but if we exclude the day-trippers coming from cruise ships, I notice that fortunately the most of tourists visiting Naples have a deeper interest in arts, history and local culture.

Besides, also for the sakeness of local economy, I hope that tourists will learn to spend more days here when in Naples: ok, this city is not as big as London or Berlin, but it's still a metropolis. Nonetheless, it's so rich in monuments, churches and museums that the average two days many people decide to dedicate to this city are not good enough, in my humble opinion. Of course everyone has its personal stories (someone's on budget, someones has just a few days for its holidays), but I tend to recommend to dedicate to Naples and its surroundings at least one week of your leisure time, in order to take a good introductory glance of this marvellous city.

@jjkdc: absolutely loved your pics on flickr ;)

Edited: 10:32 am, May 20, 2013
Washington DC...
10. Re: I love Naples

Sorry for the delay and thanks for the thoughts. I went right back to work yesterday and I'm still tired.

I'm trying to sort photos this morning AND I did post one update to my blog if anyone is interested. So, this update will be short.

Kathy, I mostly heard "watch your back, watch your stuff". Don't take the good camera out, and even if you take your pocket camera don't wave it around. Leave the iPhone in the hotel, etc.

I was only there on Sunday, which was a gorgeous day and all the locals were out in force enjoying themselves. I didn't feel the slightest bit unsafe, although when I did leave the hotel I left everything behind and only took the pocket camera and some cash. While on the one hand I wish I had my good camera during my strolls, after a week of lugging it around (it is like carrying a sack of sugar everywhere) I was glad to be so lightweight during my walk. My photos, when I get to the Naples ones, will reflect that, however. Sadly.

When I got back to the hotel around 5 PM I did pull out the big camera to stroll along the waterfront so at least those photos will be nice - but on the other hand, that was a full sunlight, no shadows area which means even the pocket camera would not find the conditions challenging. I needed the dSLR in the narrow streets I wandered earlier that day.

I didn't even find Naples particularly dirty, either - at least where I was strolling. My first view, of Molo Beverello on the morning I landed, was kind of "yuck" but I figured that was a dock area, what do you expect.

Naples reminded me a lot of Rome - all of the energy. Even a little bit of Florence with the fortress like buildings in some places.

Now that I have a taste of it I will be spending more time there on my next visit to the area. Had I known, I would have spent three nights, minimum, there, with my Pompeii and Herculaneum visit from Naples and not all the way from Positano.

Kuroneko, I did not know much about Naples before I started planning for this trip other than the above warnings, and the food. In my mind's eye, previously, it seemed somewhat swashbuckling - thoughts of a seaport/sailors, the food, the grittiness.

jjkdc - FANTASTIC photos, thank you so much for sharing! I can tell you put a lot of time and thought into them. Great compositions. Mine will not be all that good. I was feeling pretty lazy that day and tried to document things more than capture anything artistic, and to be honest I'm not all that impressed with my pocket camera (Canon S90). As mentioned it's fine for non-challenging straightforward conditions but the minute anything needs some artistry, forget it. The zoom just makes things worse, for instance.

Hope you enjoy my blog photos... I will endeavor to be so much better about posting updates for this trip on my blog...