We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need assistance to trim down a 24hour plan!

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
reviews: 54
Need assistance to trim down a 24hour plan!

Hi guys,

I'll have 2 days in Naples area. 1 day is dedicated to Sorrento/Pompeii.

So I have 1 other day for the city of Naples. There seems to be a number of things to visit:

Palazzo Reale

Castel Nuovo

Galleria Umberto I

Teatro San Carlo

San Francesco di Paola

Duomo

San Gregorio Armeno

Cappella Sansevero

San Domenico Maggiore

Gesù Nuovo

Santa Chiara

Castel dell'Ovo

Castel Sant'Elmo

I suspect Castel dell'Ovo and Duomo is a must see - what're other sights that is unique to Naples?

Also, I'm a food lover - so any recommendations on local delicacy is very much welcome!

Hong Kong, China
11. Re: Need assistance to trim down a 24hour plan!

Thanks! Back to my original question - even grouping the locations, is it doable within a day? ( I doubt)

Destination Expert
for Naples
reviews: 16
12. Re: Need assistance to trim down a 24hour plan!

I should have mentioned that I didn't choose the labels for the groups with an order in mind - it wasn't until after I posted that I realized I couldn't format using spacing, so I went back and put letters in front to distinguish the groups.

With only one day to work with you need to stretch the day as much as possible, which means starting as early as possible. Unfortunately, Naples doesn't "wake up" as early as Rome, where many churches are open by 7 AM. The earliest opening times I can think of in Naples are 8 AM. You also need to be aware of places that close during mid-day, like the Duomo and Gesu Nuovo.

Not being much of a photographer, I completely missed the idea of sunrise shots. A first stop at Castel d'Ovo for those pictures makes good sense.

At this point I think you need to sit down with a guidebook (or visit a bunch of web sites) and list the opening hours for each site, then decide which ones you need to go inside vs. those you can enjoy from the outside only. I can't honestly see how you could do anything more than run through the interior of all of the places on your list in one day.

Hagerstown, Maryland
reviews: 28
13. Re: Need assistance to trim down a 24hour plan!

No, not doable in a day. If you tried you'd rob yourself of one of the sweetest pleasures of Naples, which is wandering and basking in its decaying old-world atmosphere. It's hard to do in a day, but give yourself a chance to discover the hidden gems that make Naples so fascinating. Things that don't make it into the guidebooks.

Good luck. And watch out for the maniacal motorcycle drivers while you're there. It's all part of the fun!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
reviews: 134
14. Re: Need assistance to trim down a 24hour plan!

Just do what you can - it is possible but you do need to stop and literally smell the coffee (and pizza) and eat pizza too. Start early, finish late, soak it all in and marvel that you're in a city that's been continually occupied for over 3,000 years.

Hong Kong, China
15. Re: Need assistance to trim down a 24hour plan!

Thanks all! I love local food and Pizza is definitely something I'll get my hands on!

16. Re: Need assistance to trim down a 24hour plan!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 12, 2014