We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shore tours when cruising Europe

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Shore tours when cruising Europe

We are doing a 21 night cruise on the Norwegian Jade at the end of the year, visiting ports in Italy, Greece, Turkey, Spain, Monaco etc. I have chosen Naples as the topic, but my question applies to all ports.

My question is - Are there tour operators available when you get off the ship, or do you need to book shore tours on the ship, as they seem very expensive to book on-board?

I have previously experienced inflated shore tour prices(+300%) on Australian ships & just wondering if European cruises are the same.

All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
reviews: 91
1. Re: Shore tours when cruising Europe

Hi Andrew

I sure do agree that Austrlaian cruise shore tours are insanely priced. I've just done a Mediterranean cruise and sadly, things aren't much better - we paid over 120 euros for a 'tour' to the Acropolis and Acropolis Museum which was really nothing more than a bus ride into town from the port and admission tickets. We had no choice as we had limited time but it's price gouging in the extreme.

When in Naples, I would suggest you get onto these guys

http://www.worldtours.it/

I've been to Naples twice in the last three months and used them on both occasions. They are essentially a private tour service in a car or mini bus and tailor tours to suit your needs, for example I needed longer in Pompeii than their regular tour, so they allowed for that. Their driver Antonio is really fluent English speaker and very knowledgeable about the area too. They pick up and drop off at the port. Maybe book before you leave?

Good luck - you'll have an amazing time.

Edited: 9:57 pm, January 20, 2013
South Australia
reviews: 12
2. Re: Shore tours when cruising Europe

Take the Alibus from the port to the train station and take the train www.versuviana.it to Pompeii Scavi Campania www.italia.it/en/home.html

Or take the Hydrofoil from the port to Sorrento and a tour of the Amalfi coast www.goldentours.it

www.amalficoastweb.com

3. Re: Shore tours when cruising Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 23, 2014