We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples then Sorrento then Amalfi Coast

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Uxbridge
reviews: 3
Naples then Sorrento then Amalfi Coast

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on a trip I am just starting to plan for me and my boyfriend. We are considering going to Naples for 2-3 nights, then heading to Sorrento for 4-5 nights and onto Amalfi Coast for 5-6 nights (this is flexible!)

Firstly, is it simple to travel from Naples to Sorrento and then onto Amalfi Coast? Can we get back from Amalfi to Naples easily for a return flight?

Also, I would like recommendations on where to stay in Sorrento and Amalfi Coast, both general area and hotels too. Should we stay longer in Sorrento or Amalfi area? Our budget isn't tiny but dont want big names like Hilton etc. After Naples we are looking for relaxing by the pool/beach so want to make sure we stay somewhere that's a real holiday destination.

Any comments would be very gratefully received!

Jen

St Paul, MN
reviews: 6
1. Re: Naples then Sorrento then Amalfi Coast

Better stay in a place with a pool. neither the Amalfi coast or Sorrento feature beaches. In Sorrento most of the swimming is from, diving platforms. If you are lookng for a beach holiday wuith real beaches then think about Ischia in the Bay of Naples it has beautiful real sand beaches.

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

you get there by hydrofoil form Naples.

There are hydrofoils, asnd commuter trains between Naples and Sorrento, the Circumvesuviana takes one hour and 10 min to makes the journey.

There are SITA buses between Sorrento and the Amalfi coast. It takes 30 min to get fron Sorrento to Positano. In the past there were hydrofoils between Sorrento and the Amalif coast May-Sept but that has been getting more iffy every year.

St Paul, MN
reviews: 6
2. Re: Naples then Sorrento then Amalfi Coast

It takes so long to get from the Amalfi coast to the Naples airport by public transport, unless you are goign to hire a private driver, it's best to overnight in Naples the day before you are departing

Uxbridge
reviews: 3
3. Re: Naples then Sorrento then Amalfi Coast

How long would you estimate it takes to get from Amalfi to Naples?

Thank you for the advice, very helpful re non-extant beaches, shows what I know!

Portland, OR
reviews: 9
4. Re: Naples then Sorrento then Amalfi Coast

What a great trip! If you can spend 6 nights in Positano, consider renting an apartment to save on both lodging and food costs. We rented an apartment at www.villalesirene.com and loved it.

As for the beaches, there are no great stretches of white sandy beaches along the Amalfi Coast. However, there are several smaller beaches that are small pebbles, not sand, which are lovely for relaxing and playing in the water. I personally prefer Fornillo Beach in Positano, which is smaller than the main beach. Our favorite beach of all, Laurito, you can reach by a small boat from the dock in Positano.

If you are going during the "tourist" season (June - September) then it is easy to travel by ferry from Positano to Capri, Amalfi and Salerno, which makes it easy to explore the other towns such as Amalfi, Ravello and (obviously) Capri.

UK
reviews: 32
5. Re: Naples then Sorrento then Amalfi Coast

Allow at least 1 hour by public transport (i.e. Bus).

If you are traveling during the summer season (April to Sept approx), taking a boat is the best option. Much nicer than the bus in my opinion.

cincinnati
6. Re: Naples then Sorrento then Amalfi Coast

Just returned from Naples and Amalfi coast. Loved every moment. Easy train from Naples to Sorrento then bus or van/car to Amalfi. I recommend not driving a private car as you will miss much of the spectacular scenery.

We only had one day there so hired a private tour recommended to us - www.pleasantravel.com and were extreemly pleased. Our guide, Mariano was kind, accomodating and very knowledgeable.

Approximately ten mimutes east of Amalfi, we passed a nice, albiet somewhat isolated, hotel that Mariano recommended for magnificent views, don't know about beach/swimming, and the price is a fraction of what the hotels in Amalfi charge. It is the hotel Benvenutia a Praiano. We did not go inside, however. You would need a car though or depend on the busses to get into the towns.

Hope this helps. YOu will love your time in this part of Italy! Wish we were returning!

Edited: 5:20 pm, January 03, 2013
7. Re: Naples then Sorrento then Amalfi Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, January 06, 2014