We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples city tours

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco, USA
Naples city tours

My wife and I are staying for 4 nights in Sorrento in the end of September. We won't be able to spend much time seeing Naples and as I see from all postings it is a very interesting but difficult to see city. Can anybody recommend a half-day or day city tour that will show us the essentials?

New York, NY
1. Re: Naples city tours

If I were you, I think I would do a Google search. I spent a day in Naples, on my own, while staying in Sorrento a couple of years ago and don't recall seeing the types of tour buses one associates with cities like New York and London. So I think you may have to dig a little for a small group tour or individual guide and car. I just did a very quick search, and one thing I came up with was benvenutolimos.com, ("recommended by Rick Steves!") which describes various trips it does, including a full day in Naples. If I were to do it again, I might put a little more thought into my day in Naples and at least try to find a car and driver to help me hit all the places on my "to see" list. It's a fascinating city, but exhausting when done for the first time on foot, and I wasn't able to see everything I'd hoped to see.

UK
reviews: 6
2. Re: Naples city tours

Hi fkbr,

You could buy a day ticket for the red open air buses - there are 6 routes and your ticket's valid for 24 hours so you can choose any or all. They depart from outside the Castle Nuovo, in Piazza Municipio, which you'll pass on your way from the port where you arrive from Sorrento. The bus drives around the city and you can jump on and off at any of the stops and go into a museum or take photographs etc.. Then you don't waste time getting lost. It's a lovely way to see the city, you can observe general street life without the stress! The Posillipo route offers spectacular views. Go up to the Castel Sant' Elmo the views from the top are great - walk down, get lift up! Vomero is a nice area for shopping, less chaotic generally except at passeggiata time. You can do as much or as little as you want with the bus this way - if you want to wander off and explore and leave the bus, you can. It's a good way to spend a couple of hours to get an overall picture of the city and get familiar with the layout. Details on …city-sightseeing.it/napoli/eng/percorsi.asp

Best wishes, Nolana

New York, NY
3. Re: Naples city tours

Thanks for that info -- I wish I'd had it when I was there. Can't believe I missed seeing big red buses.

San Francisco, USA
4. Re: Naples city tours

Thank you, Nolana. I will print out your reply and take it with me. I do not rely on my memory: I have so much to remember before I leave...