We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to stay in Naples over night alone?

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Is it safe to stay in Naples over night alone?

Hi,

I was wondering if it's considered safe for a young woman to stay in Naples overnight. Initially I would arrive before noon and spend as much time as possible at the museum. The next day would be Pompeii and maybe 3rd the Amalfi coast. I was going to spend the 1st night in Naples and the next 2 in Sorrento. Should I just skip Naples and go straight to Sorrento?

While in Sorrento, is the area near the train station relatively safe?

Thanks!!!

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 16
1. Re: Is it safe to stay in Naples over night alone?

Well, my friend (a young woman ;)) stayed in Naples alone for a year, and she was fine...

Seriously though, it's absolutely fine as long as you're in a safe part of the city and you're sensible. I don't know it well enough to know exactly where the safest parts are - but I would avoid the area around the train station and the port, definitely, and certainly avoid the areas around the airport, which have a particularly bad reputation!

Having said that, if all you're planning to see in Naples is the museum (there's lots more to see!), then maybe you might as well head straight for Sorrento... but if that would involve you taking the circumvesuviana late at night, it might not be such a good plan.

Sorrento is on the whole a pretty safe town - the area around the station seemed fine to me....

Surrey U.K.
reviews: 23
2. Re: Is it safe to stay in Naples over night alone?

I personally would stay in my Hotel after dark and take sensible precautions during the day. Naples is like any big City but I wouldn't advise wandering around after dark on your own, or appearing too ostentatious wearing too much jewellry/ carrying expensive cameras etc.

San Diego...
3. Re: Is it safe to stay in Naples over night alone?

Thank you for the great advice. I was really going to head to the hotel right after the museum and after I get something to eat...and of course, before it got dark out. I'm not into wondering alone at night....better safe than sorry!!