We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train station confusion

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 28
Train station confusion

I am really confused as to which train station would be best for my husband and I to arrive to from Rome. We will be in Rome for 3 days/4 nights and then plan to travel to Naples by train. Our original plan was to stay in Naples for 3 nights before returning to Rome for our flight back to Canada, but I think we'd prefer Sorrento to relax in, after spending 2 weeks in three countries. I was thinking of arriving in Naples early and spending the day, then train to Sorrento.

I am finding 3 train stations for Naples, and am having trouble locating them on google maps. It looks like one is very close to Pompeii(where we do plan on spending a day), but which one is closest for touring the city of Naples? Also, are there large storage areas in the train station for our suitcases while we walk around the city? Is a train station local enough to walk everywhere? We're also ok to take the Metro. I haven't compilied a list yet of what to see and do, so am also opened to further suggestions.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 22
1. Re: Train station confusion

The fast trains from Rome mostly arrive at Naples Central Station, and usually don't stop at any of the others. Piazza Garibaldi is downstairs in the same location, and you can get the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento at that station. The Circumvesuviana goes to Sorrento, stopping at Pompeii on the way. At Pompeii, there is luggage storage at the archeological site, or so I've heard. I never used it. I would imagine that there would be a left luggage facility at Naples Central Station.

Hagerstown, Maryland
reviews: 28
2. Re: Train station confusion

You want to get off at Napoli Centrale. This station is essentially at the eastern end of Naples' historic center. Although the area right around the station is rather chaotic and not very attractive, you can walk into the heart of the historic center from it easily enough. Or you can take the metro one stop to Cavour, and enter from there. If you're interested, the Archaeological Museum (where most of the best art excavated from Pompeii and Herculaneum can be seen) is a short walk up the street from this stop.

There is a tourist info booth in the train station where you can get a walking map of Naples. There is a luggage storage service there, and one at Pompeii as well.

FYI - the Circumvesuviana station you want for a visit to Pompeii is Pompeii Scavi (not Pompeii, which is the modern town).

Hope this helps.

Salerno, Italia
reviews: 3
3. Re: Train station confusion

Practically all ES Eurostar Trains heading from Roma Termini FS Train Station to Reggio Calabria make 3 stops in Napoli: Napoli Campi Flegrei FS Train Station, Napoli Mergellina FS Train Station, and Napoli Piazza Garibaldi FS Train Station.

I'm pretty sure that Napoli Piazza Garibaldi Circumvesuviana Train Station is still in its temporary location so it's not in its usual place downstairs near the entrance of the Napoli Piazza Garibaldi metro line 2 platforms (#1, #4) or the Napoli Piazza Garibaldi FS Train Station platforms (#2, #3). Napoli Piazza Garibaldi Circumvesuviana Train Station's entrance is to the side of Napoli Centrale on the far right (platforms facing you). Here are some directions:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k1152…

The baggage storage area or the "Deposito Bagagli" is to the left (platforms facing you) practically on the other side of the McDonald's and the snack bar within Napoli Centrale:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k1089…

(choose "Napoli Centrale" and "Luggage" and then click "Left luggage" in grey toward the middle of the page)

www.grandistazioni.it/client_enhtml/page.php…

A Sorrento-bound Circumvesuviana Train passes by the aformentioned Pompei Scavi/Villa dei Misteri stop which as jjkdc mentioned is the closest stop to the Pompei Scavi/Ruins:

www.vesuviana.it/Reteeorari/Ferrovia/Larete

…vesuviana.it/OrarioFerrovia/…a02.pdf

…vesuviana.it/OrarioFerrovia/…a49.pdf

vesuviana.it/Reteeorari/…LineaNapoliSorrento

Here's an idea about the metro lines on line 2:

…tiscali.it/defalco_ivanoe/…linea2.html

Napoli Mergellina FS Train Station is also in the same platform area as the Mergellina metro line 2 stop. However, although Napoli Mergellina FS Train Station has a luggage storage area, I don't remember seeing one when I was there around 5 months ago. Maybe someone can confirm this:

trenitalia.com/it/3a1be2a3ded1b010VgnVCM1000…

In any case, Napoli Mergellina FS Train Station is in a rather good area and it's very close to the Napoli Mergellina Port as well as many churches and monuments like the neighboring Virgil's Tomb.

Buona Fortuna...

4. Re: Train station confusion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 pm, September 21, 2009