We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost per day in Naples

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
reviews: 59
Cost per day in Naples

Hi everyone,

Just registered as a new user, so please be patient with me!

Two of us are planning a week long trip to Naples at the end of April 2005, provisionally staying at the Jolly Hotel.

We were hoping to stay in the city, and make trips to Pompeii, Capri and maybe somewhere on the Amalfi coast, perhaps Postino.

My question is roughly what the cost will be per person per day for the basics - lunch, dinner, travel? We want to have a decent holiday, eat reasonably - but not haute cuisine - but budget is a bit of an issue.

Also getting to the Amalfi coast for a day, is it worth hiring a car/is that very expensive or is public transport okay/preferable? Would we be better staying overnight somewhere on the Amalfi coast (if so where?), or is a day trip do-able?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Fuorigrotta...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Cost per day in Naples

hi

regarding eating out you'll pay at least half what you pay in positano/capri etc in naples - depending on where you go of course. Naples is not a tourist town, the other touristy places bump up their prices considerably - and the quality is often much poorer and less genuine. Just food for thought! On average think 25 euros per head in a moderate place for 3 courses including vino/acqua/cover charge (this means your tablecloth, cutlery and bread - ridiculous but there you have it), tip is a couple of euros. Pizzas cost 3-5 euros. Da Michele's is one of Naples' best pizzerias - we paid 12 euros for 3 of us to eat and drink! (��8) if you're heading to amalfi coast/capri buy your water in naples beforehand! To go to capri/other islands get the "nave", the ferry boats, not the "aliscafi", the hydrofoils - these cost about 5 euros each way as opposed to 13 euros each way! (but they are much less frequent!)

travel - get a pass and everything will cost less - take a look at these websites, www.metrodelmare.com - and look at www.artecard.it - and look at www.unicocampania.it - if you got an artecard for 3 days you get transport thrown in with that and then for other sightseeing you could get a tourist 3 day transport card (see last site) - a novelty, which gives transport in surrounding areas. Don't even think of driving! Driving is a veritable nightmare and parking even more so and finding your car and possessions still there on your return not altogether certain...

i think you'd want to stay a night in amalfi area - it can take a long time to get there for a day trip - doable but you won't want to rush back. go to official website for hotels in amalfi, http://www.azienturismoamalfi.com/ i recommend the lidomare.

time out guide is pretty good for this area - and has places for all budgets...perhaps worth a look. Dead cheap place (comparitively!) at atrani beside amalfi is www.hostelscalinatella.com

San Diego...
2. Re: Cost per day in Naples

Mozzarella Girl,

I checked out the hostel you posted in Atrani, and I'm wondering if you know how easy is it to get there from the Naples train station (as I would be arriving there from Rome)....and also, how accessable it is to get to places like Pompeii or Positano from there?

Thanks!!!

S~

England
3. Re: Cost per day in Naples

Hi MozzarelaGirl,

Thanks so much for your in-depth response. I've looked at a few other Q+A's in which you've contributed your expert advice, and I must say you are a brilliant tripadvisor - even down to slow-food tomatoes!

On the back of your advice, I have re-jigged the jolly hotel reservation in napoli to the first and last days of our hol, and arranged the middle bit in Amalfi. Unfortunately the Lidomare was booked up, so I contacted the Villa Lara (by phone of all things - cheap rate via the net!), and negotiated a price we were both happy with. A bit more still than I wanted to spend - but hey - we're a long time dead!

I've also followed up the arte card leads and will be booking those through the net. And buying gallons of water before going to Amalfi!

I'm hoping that all ferries are running from Amalfi - I read somewhere they may not be at the end of April.

Thanks again MozzarelaGirl - will write again next week to tell you all how we fared. Very excited but also a bit nervous after all I've read about theft and over-charging etc.

Fuorigrotta...
4. Re: Cost per day in Naples

dear pfeiffer - hope your trip is going/went well! GOsh I only meant your daily water (ie for excursions - i now have visions of you carrying vast quantities of 1.5 litre bottles of water...not neccessary! I meant the wee bottles...!) i don't know if the ferries are operating as yet-if i get a chance i'll try and call (i'm just back myself from londonium).

cmoni-

atrani is on the bus route from sorrento to salerno - it's on the coast road, it's the 2nd stop after amalfi i think. (always tell the driver where you want off if you don't recognise where you are)! best way to get there flexibility wise is circumvesuviana from naples centrale (garibaldi) to meta di sorrento or sorrento and then get bus to atrani from there. (buses to amalfi and onwards). There is also a once-daily bus from near the port at naples to amalfi (leaves 10am i think). i posted something about that before - do a search under "sailor" (i think i mentioned this in the posting - the sailor's chapel is next to to the SITA bus station - at molla immacolatella)! Alternatively you could get train from rome to salerno and then bus from salerno to atrani?

England
5. Re: Cost per day in Naples

Just back last night from Naples - WOW!!!!!!

It's okay, didn't take buckets of water!!! But there is a supermarket in Amalfi that sells small bottles for about 35cents. There is also a fountain in town that gushes forth spring water which everyone was drinking from although I didn't try it.

I'm SO glad I changed my hotel reservations so we had the start and finish of our hols in Naples only and the rest on the coast. Not only is the coast beautiful and we did want to spend the time there, but we found Naples to be a hard and exhausting city to stay in for too long.

The way we got to Amalfi from Naples was the only tricky bit of the trip. There were no ferries running directly, though they apparantly start on June 1st. So we got a ferry to Sorrento. Then 45 mins after landing, a bus to the bus station. An hour later a bus to Amalfi. This however stopped at Positano, and we were told to get off and transfer to a waiting bus which then charged us again (because it was from a different company). This bus was going to transfer us from one end of Positano to the other - we THINK because there was a road that was closed. The driver told us to walk 100m up a hill but we had to lug our bags at least 500m and wait another 40mins before the bus to Amalfi arrived. In all this took about 4 hours, but the most frustrating bit was not being given information. The good thing was though being able to see Sorrento and Positano for those brief interludes! We returned in a far more civilised way -by ferry to Salerno, and bus from there to Naples along the motorway, with views of Vesuvio and Pompeii - easy peasy.

Anyway, thanks again Mozzarela Girl - hope Londonium was good (like a walk in the park after Napoli?!). I live near Oxford and close to Streatford on Avon and the Cotswolds, so if you're visiting and I can be of any help, let me know. :-)

walk up the hill (no further expalnations were given!). We lugged our bags up hill and another

Fuorigrotta...
6. Re: Cost per day in Naples

i am glad you had a lovely trip! I must say having lived in naples for over three LONG years any time i go back home (edinburgh or london) i feel like i'm in a health spa by comparison and start floating around as if in a gorgeous fluffy towelling robe and start beaming at strangers...!!!!

England
7. Re: Cost per day in Naples

Mozz Girl - I'm still tired after Napoli, it's certainly not a city you can ignore. I liked the warmth of the people, their willingness to help, and the passion for life. We sat having beers at the cafe by the port and observed approx 8 taxi drivers er... ' communicating'. This consisted of loud comments verging on shouting, in your face gestures, arms wrapped round waists and a tag team approach so that some dropped out and others joined in. This went on for absolutely ages, but they all seemed to be good friends. I liked that it is a city for living and not a tourist trap. It is also highly efficient and everything ran on time, and the style - while not Roman - was certainly there. Having said that the stench at times was appalling, and the poverty and begging/selling while dining which restauranteurs just turned a blind eye to. It's certainly a place I would like to learn more about, but will prob never visit again - Florence it is next year!

Cheers again - love Pfeiffer x