We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the snorkeling around Capri and Amalfi coasts?

Which Capri hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Near Future
reviews: 11
How is the snorkeling around Capri and Amalfi coasts?

We've been here before, but didn't have time to snorkel. How does the snorkeling compare with the Virgin Islands like St. John, or French Polynesia? I realize there will be differences, but just letting you know where we've been snorkeling. The water around Capri looks so clear, so we wondered about the sea life. Are there coral heads near the island or near the Amalfi coast? Which would be better for a snorkel tour by boat; Capri or Amalfi coast? We'll probably be staying 2 or 3 nights at the Hilton Sorrento (free with points) and then 3 or 4 nights on Capri.

12 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
reviews: 18
1. Re: How is the snorkeling around Capri and Amalfi coasts?

Hi, I am visiting Capri in June and have done some extensive search on everything we can do and snorkeling did not came up once. :(

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
2. Re: How is the snorkeling around Capri and Amalfi coasts?

Of course, there is snorkeling - here's one bit from a boat company (a good one) in Positano:

www.cassiopea-positano.com/snorkeling.html

another site:

www.snorkelingdives.com/scripts/four.asp…

travelamalfi.com/tours/…

I don't know what it is like - I just swim in both areas; If you look at photos/videos of Capri - I think it would be a treat there, with some of the grottos (not the Blue Grotto as you are not allowed to enter to snorkel or swim in it)

I'm not sure how the other poster found nothing on this - a simple google search turns up various sites about it. It is not the same as the places you mention - but, I'm sure it will be beautiful in any case.

www.capri.net will give you info about the island and also info about various boat companies if you want to go via boat - which is a good idea as it will get you to places you can't otherwise reach; you can email them and tell them what you are interested in doing and for how long, etc and they will (should) respond with a price for you and an explanation of what they can do and where they can take you.

Near Future
3. Re: How is the snorkeling around Capri and Amalfi coasts?

I've found snorkel and dive tours in that area. Some have been discussed here on tripadvisor, but I still haven't heard from others who actually did it. Obviously it's not a thing that draws people to this area. I've read that some like to snorkel into the grottos that are too small for boats, but haven't read much about the sealife. I'm also wondering if the water temperature is just not high enough even in July and August for most snorkelers. I won't swim in cold water which I consider to be anything under 75 or 76 degrees F. I'm spoiled with the warmer Caribbean water. Even French Polynesia waters can be a bit cold to me sometimes when I'm nearer to an inlet of ocean water flowing into the lagoons.

I did read about the ruins under water that can be seen by snorkelers and of course divers that is near Naples. they have dive tours in that area. That would be interesting to see, but we don't dive. Not sure if it's too deep to see the marble columns and statues resting on the sea floor.

added: thanks momcat for your reply. i didn't see it until I submitted this. Must have been typing at the same time you were replying.

Edited: 10:43 am, March 01, 2014
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
4. Re: How is the snorkeling around Capri and Amalfi coasts?

Whatever the snorkeling is like - you should have no trouble swimming in the sea:

seatemperature.org/europe/…capri-june.htm

Also has info for July and August

Near Future
5. Re: How is the snorkeling around Capri and Amalfi coasts?

Why does it seem that most tourist in Italy don't swim in the sea? I find they mostly just lay out in the sun, but rarely swim. Is it because they're simply too busy sightseeing on land and maybe because for a sea type vacation they choose sand beach type places? We have never thought much about snorkeling in this area when we've been here before, so this is the first time we're considering it. We may bring our snorkels, but no fins. We only use carry-ons and can fit our fins in too, but only for beach vacations. Since we'll pack more clothing for Europe vacations we'll just pack our fins in case we decide to snorkel.

I made the mistake in the past of not bringing any swimwear and we ended up in a heat wave. We were in Venice and decided to go over to the Lido to buy swimwear and go swimming. It was very difficult to find any men's swimwear that wasn't the typical speedo type that Americans do not wear, or haven't since the 70s or early 80s. It was hilarious. I finally found a decent swimsuit, but the water quality of the sea there was terrible so we just found a hotel pool.

Edited: 12:02 pm, March 01, 2014
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
6. Re: How is the snorkeling around Capri and Amalfi coasts?

That's odd - because I have always seen lots of people, including Italians, swimming in the sea when in high season. I've only been on the Lido at at the end of September or early October and by then, the sea is too cool for most people.

In Capri, I go to Da Luigi and jump from the rocks into the sea to swim from there - as do many many people; in Positano, I go to the smaller of the two beaches, Il Fornillo and there have always been a lot of people in the water. Sometimes if there is a lot of jellyfish around, some people will stay out of the sea.

It's really nice to take one of the small boat around the island - they will stop for you to jump in and swim and, if you have the budget, get one for yourselves - spend hours doing that - it is a real treat in Capri.

But if you in anyway comparing the places in your original post to anywhere in Italy, it just doesn't compute.

But, maybe Sardinia may be somewhere to consider:

charmingsardinia.com/sardinia/sardinian-beac…

Some snorkeling mentions:

ciaosardinia.com/eng/…diving-snorkeling

Near Future
7. Re: How is the snorkeling around Capri and Amalfi coasts?

What months do the jelly fish tend to come in close to shores? In July and August? I hate jellyfish. Been stung = no fun.

Chennai (Madras...
reviews: 17
8. Re: How is the snorkeling around Capri and Amalfi coasts?

Would the waters be too cold to be in end march? Cos want to splurge on a private tour around the island which let's u swim but don't know if I can do that in march!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
9. Re: How is the snorkeling around Capri and Amalfi coasts?

I've been there at the end of September when there were quite a few jellyfish in Positano -

I don't know if there are certain months or how often or how bad it gets - you can probably google for that information.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
10. Re: How is the snorkeling around Capri and Amalfi coasts?

Kalps - I can't imagine swimming at the end of March; I've been there during that time for 7 days and it was mostly in the 60s and then, at night in the mid-40s, people were still wearing coats -

You could get a warmish day or two, like I did, that was in the low 70s but the sea would be very very cold - I

Reply to: How is the snorkeling around Capri and Amalfi coasts?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted