We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costs once you're there.

Which Capri hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
plymouth
reviews: 5
Costs once you're there.

Thinking about Capri for the summer. All looks amazing but so many posts about how expensive the place is.

Hotels aside, can anyone give me a very rough idea of what a beer, a bottle of wine, an inexpensive meal, an expensive meal (I think someone posted they spent 150 euro per head in L'Olivo without drinking wine...), a boat trip around the island and visiting the various attractions costs?

I know its a how long is a piece of string question but a rough grasp might help me plan a budget.

Thanks in advance.

Sorrento
Destination Expert
for Sorrento, Capri
reviews: 44
1. Re: Costs once you're there.

Here some prices:

A beer or a glass of wine in "Piazzetta": around 8/10 euro

A pizza in an inexpensive restaurant with a beer: around 15

An expensive meal: 150 euro at Ulivo (but it's a Michelin restaurant!), 70/80 euro in other place (Aurora, Villa Verde, Da Paolino), 40/50 in other (Pulalli, da Gelsomina)

A boat trip around the Island: 15 euro

Entrance to Grotta Azzurra: 13 euro

Villa San Michele: 6 euro

Chairlfit to Monte Solaro: 7 euro

Entrance and sunbed in a beach club: 20 euro

Washington DC...
reviews: 15
2. Re: Costs once you're there.

I was in Capri last June, and the prices Camilla posted above ring pretty true to me, though sometimes I was able to spend less at dinner.

The one thing I would add is that if you are looking to save money, it helps to think carefully about where you are eating, and do some advance research about moderately-priced restaurants if you can. (And consider making reservations for dinner, even if it is just the same day). I mostly did not do any of those things for this trip, and found that our dinner bills varied wildly as a result.

My cautionary tale: though it was not my first time in Capri, and I DEFINITELY should have known better, on the day of our arrival I was tired and jet-lagged, and sat down at the first available cafe on the Piazetta. I ordered two servings of gelato for my niece and myself, plus a small bottle of water, without looking at the menu. How much could gelato cost, right? LOL - I believe the final bill wound up being 38 euros. I told my niece that we would consider that dinner, a meal that was known for the rest of our trip as the "million dollar gelato" meal. By contrast, later in the week, we ate dinner at Buca di Bacco, where we had 2 pizzas, 2 salads, and one glass of house wine for 35 euros. And we had a lovely dinner at Pulalli overlooking the Piazzetta at a cost of about 50 euros for both of us. So shop around!

Ocean City, MD
reviews: 7
3. Re: Costs once you're there.

www.capri.net

lemoncello07, love the "million dollar gelato" meal. Most anyone that has visited Capri has a similar story, which we all laugh about now:*))

Mine was "million dollar" espresso....I was very tired (knew the price of 'sitting'), needed some caffine and water --- 13 Euro later....... I just sat there about an hour (people watched), finished my water (in the shade under the umbrella), felt refreshed and then used the WC. They did bring some potato chips, albeit a tad stale (humidity) But my, my, the views and experience was well worth it. This was in 2007 and just typing this reminds me of the 'Kodak moment'.

Edited: 5:39 pm, February 20, 2012
St Paul, MN
reviews: 6
4. Re: Costs once you're there.

We ate and stayed on the Anacapri side of the island because prices were slightly cheapeer on that side. We ate far away fron the Piazzetta when we did eat on the Capri side (antying except a snack at the pasticceria). We ate at Da Vergiello's whihc was by the bus stop, but it had great views. Prices were more reasonable there

Da Vergiello's

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

we ate pastiress here at da Alberte's jksut outside the Piazzetta

Menus selections from our favorite restaurant in Anacapri

It was a nice place

It was in May 2008 we were there for 8 days. We took the buses or walked around to where we wanted to go.

Campagnano di Roma...
reviews: 52
5. Re: Costs once you're there.

If you're on a budget there are several things you should NOT do on the island of Capri: 1) Do not sit down for waiter service at ANY bar. If you just want a coffee pay at the register and go to the stand-up bar and order it from the bartender. Sitting down at one of the bars in the Piazzetta will cost you a minimum four euros for an espresso. 2) Do not stop at restaurants on the main streets or piazzas, especially if they offer outside seating. Dining on Capri is more expensive than on the mainland. If all you want is a pizza and a beer, you may get by with €10 or less but a regular traditional meal with wine will run you from 30 to 50 euros per person at moderately-priced restaurants and considerably more at the more exclusive places.

Advice from your DE who lives here: Research, research, research. There are many reviews in the TA Capri Restaurants which can be of help. Check out the restaurant beforehand. Most have their menu posted outside so you can compare prices for similar food items.

By the way, the correct spelling for the two establishments cited in the above post is: Verginiello (restaurant) and Da Alberto (bar).

6. Re: Costs once you're there.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:39 pm, June 07, 2013