We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We are planning a trip to Italy and need help!

Which Capri hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stockton, California
reviews: 6
We are planning a trip to Italy and need help!

Hi,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy and this is the way I would like to plan this vacation. I need your help. I would like to plan our trip off of everyones recommendations and suggestions. We are leaving July 13th and coming back on July 29th. Our flight arrives in Venice on the 14th and departs from Paris on the 29th. We would like to stay a couple nights in Venice, Florence, Rome, a night in Capri (possibly), and Paris. I need recommendations on Hotels, tours, transporatation, places to eat, everything.

To let you know a little about what are likes are...romance, wine, beaches or water and first class accomendations. My Nonie (grandmother) just recently passed away so we would like to take this vacation in her honor. She was from the Genoa area. She loved Italy and my husband and I have never been there. Any information, advise, recommendations or sugguestions would be so greatly appreciated! Thank you, Denise

lodidc@aol.com - if you would like to email me directly

1. Re: We are planning a trip to Italy and need help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:10 pm, July 08, 2006
Los Angeles
reviews: 18
2. Re: We are planning a trip to Italy and need help!

Everyone seems to put Florence on their list of places to visit in Italy and the art can be extraordinary. For myself, I found Florence dirty, noisy,and rude. Both the Uffizzi and the Academia are grossly over-rated. Half of the Uffizzi is closed indefinitely, many artworks are not on display and other than the David at the Accademia, that gallery is full of quite frankly bad or indifferent pieces. That said, the Fra Angelico frescoes at San Marco are beyond description and the Medici Chapels are wonderful. However, sadly two of the chapels have been turned into a gift shop, so you have to use your imagination. If you can, especially in the summer, stay at a hotel in the hills around the city or in the Oltrano, and I mean deep in the Oltrano. I think you might rather HQ in Sienna which is on the rail, and do Florence as a day trip, with side trips to Pisa, Bologna, San Gimigiagno (not on the rail). Driving in Florence is a nightmare and could ruin your vacation. I haven't tried it, but perhaps you could rent a car in Sienna and tour Tuscany, may be others have good ideas.

As for Venice, what can I say? Visit San Marco of course, but then forget the sad art museums (Napoleon stole the good works anyway and you can see them at The Louvre). Get lost, wander the Dorsiduro, the Cannareggio, the Guidecca (which is where most wealthy Venetians live), take the vaporetto to Torcello island for a picnic on Sunday with most of the native Venitians, or on Sunday ride with the Italian ladies with their flowers to the cemetery island, San Michele. Out wandering one day I stumbled onto San Sebastiane which was Tintoretto's parish church that he decorated with frescoes in his spare time, and Maria dei Frari, which has the strange pyramid tomb of Canova. Lost one day, I saw a motto over a doorway that read "Anchiave Espero", which roughly translates as There is Always Hope - and around the corner was my destination! Find a secluded campo or piazza and settle down for a long lunch with too much wine. Venice and the Venetians are a joy, but you have to get away from the tourists which mob this city in the summer, spoiling large stretches of it, especially around San Marco and the Rialto.

Washington State
reviews: 14
3. Re: We are planning a trip to Italy and need help!

Remember that you are looking at 3-4 hours from Venice to Florence, another couple hours florence to Rome, another 3 hours to Capri, and then you would probably go back to Rome for the easiest flight to Paris, but don't count out flying from Naples. I would recommend a couple nights in Venice, 2-4 in Florence, 3-5 in Rome, two in Capri, and whatever is left in Paris. Capri is lovely and if you have a room with a view, after running around in all the other cities, you'll really appreciate the extra day.

For Capri, if you want relaxation, stay in Anacapri or in Capri proper. Don't stay near the harbor. Many of the nicer hotels have a shuttle, so keep an eye out for that. The view rooms are pricey, but we discovered it was wonderful to sit there and drink wine, eat cheese bought at the local grocery store, and watch the sunset.

There are a ton of Rome threads running, so it's just a matter of weeding through them to find out what people found was best for them. I've posted a few and the reviews of hotels I found immensly helpful when booking rooms.

Have a wonderful time!

4. Re: We are planning a trip to Italy and need help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:05 am, March 23, 2006