We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento or Positano

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kenmare, Ireland
reviews: 5
Sorrento or Positano

Hi. We are flying to Naples in October and will be in Italy for 5 nights. Initially we were going to stay in Sorrento, but having looked at forum discussions etc it would appear that Positano is very popular. So I'm looking for a vote really, do people feel that staying in Sorrento or Positano would be best for our stay? Having looked at hotels in Sorrento, which can be expensive, I'm not sure if Positano is similar in terms of price and what you get. My experience of hotels in Italy previously is that their star rating would not be comparable to the 4 and 5 star rating in Ireland. So any thoughts or advice would be welcome. Thanks.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 49
1. Re: Sorrento or Positano

Depends , do you want to sight see in the area, Capri, pompeii etc, if you do Sorrento is best,, Sorrento

has a lot to offer in the way of shops, Restaurants etc, and greater choice of Hotels, not all are really expensive by a long way, Positano is small very pretty very hilly, completely different, October is a little out of season, I would prefer Sorrento, probably in the minority,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
reviews: 134
2. Re: Sorrento or Positano

What do you want from your holiday ? It's hard to answer Positano/Sorrento without knowing your plans.

Sorrento is great in terms of access to sights such as Pompeii, Naples and Capri. Positano wins if you want to swim, shop and relax.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
3. Re: Sorrento or Positano

My vote goes to Sorrento as I like a good choice of restaurants shops etc. when I've finished sightseeing for the day.

Montreal, Quebec...
reviews: 21
4. Re: Sorrento or Positano

While Positano is very picturesque, my vote goes to Sorrento. You'd better be in decent shape to get around Positano - steep, winding roads everywhere. I found Sorrento had more to offer and was a wonderful base to go to Naples, the Amalfi Coast, Pompeii...

In terms of a hotel in Sorrento, did you look into the Ulisse Deluxe Hostel? Don't let the "hostel" in the name put you off! Our room was very spacious with a large bathroom and a balcony with a table and chairs (room 218) and the price was extremely reasonable.

Nottingham, United...
reviews: 83
5. Re: Sorrento or Positano

Another vote for Sorrento which is a vibrant bustling town, with a charming historic area, stunning views of Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples and excellent local transport links for the whole of the Amalfi Coast area.

Would say Positano is more expensive in our experience - only on day trips though. Beautiful town nestling in the cliffside. Very hilly, lots of steps.

Can recommend www.hotelantichemura.com in Sorrento and for sea views the Grand Royal www.manniellohotels.com

6. Re: Sorrento or Positano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 30, 2014