We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento or Amalfi

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stokenchurch...
reviews: 33
Sorrento or Amalfi

Hi

I want to take husband to visit Pompei, Vesuvius and Herculeum for his birthday. Would it be better to stay in Sorrento or Amalfi and is it easy to travel to the sights by public transport? We are senior travellers but okay to get around. Was thinking about September, is that a good month.

Thanks in advance for help.

Isola d'Ischia...
reviews: 2
1. Re: Sorrento or Amalfi

Quite a tough one, that!

For access to those three attractions, Sorrento would be the better base - as it's the terminus for a convenient local train line that runs out from Naples, through Ercolano (the modern-day town, where Herculaneum's ruins are nearest to its "Ercolano Scavi" station), with then a stop at 'Pompei Scavi', for Pompeii.

That's the Circumvesuviana railway, whose slightly narrower gauge has seen it remain separate from Trenitalia's national network. When busy with both luggage-toting tourists and local passengers, it can be much like the western end of the Piccadilly line at rush hour - but OK as a cheap means of transport, with tickets from Naples to Sorrento costing €4.10, less for shorter journeys!

Amalfi, on the other hand, is probably the nicer place to stay... but with rather more hassle involved in getting around? For example, the direct bus route to Pompei was closed some time back, and you'd now have to go by bus to Salerno first, and change there to either another bus, or a train...

As an alternative, some trips might be easier with the excursions offered by these people:

http://www.goldentours.it/en/from_amalfi.php

....................... Chopped from my list of handy leaflets etc...................

Although it's well overdue for an update (so do cross-check any times, prices etc - and ignore all references to the 'Metro del Mare' for now), there's a useful 'Travel Directory' to the various towns and villages along the Sorrento Peninsula and Amalfi Coast that can be downloaded from the official tourism website, using...

costiera.it/images/pdf/TravelDirectory_En.pdf

They've also a map leaflet, that's handier for checking what's where:

www.costiera.it/images/pdf/Cartina_En.pdf

September's always a very popular time down here, still fairly hot (especially at the very start of the month!), but with, usually, few of the thunderstorms that will eventually announce autumn's arrival...

Perhaps best not to leave your decision (or plane-ticket buying) too much longer, as the British Museum's exhibition does appear to have sparked a good deal of extra interest this year?

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Traverse City...
reviews: 73
2. Re: Sorrento or Amalfi

It wouldn't be a tough choice for me. When I read the subject header, my first thought was "Well, it depends on whether they want to go to Pompeii, etc." You do - Stay in Sorrento.

Brentwood, United...
reviews: 2
3. Re: Sorrento or Amalfi

I agree with above poster.

<I want to take husband to visit Pompei, Vesuvius and Herculeum >

Not a thorny problem, Sorrento is the obvious choice..

<Amalfi, on the other hand, is probably the nicer place to stay..>

Very much a personal matter, I myself much prefer Sorrento, Without considering the problem of transport in regard to Amalfi.

Perth, Western...
reviews: 37
4. Re: Sorrento or Amalfi

We stayed in Sorrento and easily visited Pompeii using the local train (it is about 45-60 minute trip). It is certainly a fairly basic train, used by all the locals, but it did the job and we felt quite safe, though I don't think I would like to be lugging all my suitcases around in it! We visited the Amalfi coast, which is simply stunning and worth adding to your visiting list, but Amalfi is quite a distance from Sorrento, and even further from Pompeii, so it would be nowhere nearly as convenient. Sorrento was a lovely town to stay in on its own merits, so Sorrento gets my vote too!

Traverse City...
reviews: 73
5. Re: Sorrento or Amalfi

>we felt quite safe

I don't understand this comment, so now I am curious. Were there other times during your trip that you didn't feel safe?

Perth, Western...
reviews: 37
6. Re: Sorrento or Amalfi

No, I felt safe throughout our trip with no worries in Sorrento. Before we left I read quite a few comments about Naples & the train from Naples to Sorrento that made me feel a bit nervous, however we experienced no issues. That is what I was referring to with my comment.

7. Re: Sorrento or Amalfi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 10, 2014