We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March in Sorrento

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
boston
reviews: 1
March in Sorrento

I understand from previous posts that weather in Sorrento can be a little iffy. But I'm wondering how "closed up" Sorrento and the rest of the Amalfi Coast would be at that time. Some friends and are thinking about taking a trip next March (yeah, I know, lots of planning time) and Sorrento is in the running. Specifically, I'm wondering about restaurants, shops, that kind of thing. One of our members really enjoys perusing local handicrafts.

I'm hoping some of you experts out there can advise. thanks.

UK
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
reviews: 5
1. Re: March in Sorrento

March is one of the times we visit Sorrento, in fact just got home. We find the majority of shops open with some of the out and out tourist shops closed. One thing we did notice this time is that some shops closed earlier in the evening eg at about 7pm rather than 9pm. That may have had something to do with the awful weather at the time (the worst we have had, visiting at different times of the year, in 30 years!) or just the current hard times. Whilst there are restaurants closed, or only opening at weekends, you will find more than enough open.

Sorrento has a resident population of over 16,000 so there are plenty of people out and about in the town. Plus of course the foreign visitors.

Edited: 4:08 pm, March 30, 2013
boston
2. Re: March in Sorrento

Thanks for this. Would you happen to know if the same is true for other towns on the coast, like Amalfi and Positano?

Just curious, when you say awful weather, do you mean rainy, or worse?

Isola d'Ischia...
reviews: 2
3. Re: March in Sorrento

If you'd like a sight of how the last 10 or so Marchs have been, you'll find photos taken that month, mostly here on Ischia - about 20 miles across the water from Sorrento - amongst this "Spring" collection....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/springisch

Definitely expect some rain in between better days - although we've also had a several brief showers of hail this year!

As for busy-ness, with so late an Easter in 2014, places may be quieter than usual?

Peter

UK
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
reviews: 5
4. Re: March in Sorrento

When it was not raining it was cold and/or windy. But as I said it was the worst we had experienced in 30 years and not what we are used to in March. It seems that most of Europe is having a bad spell at the moment. Still waiting for Spring to get going here in the UK (-4C at 9am this morning and had to scrape ice off the car)!

Edited: 11:25 am, March 31, 2013
boston
5. Re: March in Sorrento

Your photos are so lovely. And I'm so jealous.

6. Re: March in Sorrento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 02, 2014