We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Hotel in Salerno: The Novotel Salerno

Which Salerno hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CT
New Hotel in Salerno: The Novotel Salerno

We are thinking of an ABC tour that stays at a new hotel in Salerno: The Novotel. Does anyone know anything about this hotel? It's located on Via Salvatore Allende. Thanks!

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
reviews: 23
1. Re: New Hotel in Salerno: The Novotel Salerno

A white elephant! Located SEVEN kilometers from the center of Salerno, on the extreme eastern outskirts, you'll need a shuttle or a city bus to get into town. It may have great views of the Bay of Salerno and of the Amalfi Peninsula, but it's otherwise very inconveniently located.

Isola d'Ischia...
reviews: 2
2. Re: New Hotel in Salerno: The Novotel Salerno

This new hotel is part of the infrastructure development accompanying the growth of the Amalfi Coast airport - recently opened to civil flights, and known also as Salerno-Pontecagnano. ( http://www.aeroportosalerno.it )

It's planned that between them two former military airbases - this one and Grazzanise (near Capua, north of Naples) - will eventually receive many of the flights currently using Capodichino, to reduce pollution in the city and traffic flows, and allow vacationers to reach their destinations more easily.

The hotel is ideal for tour operators as it's handy for the various road, rail and maritime connections, with space for coach parking - though this one is very far along the run on that coast that they've been using!

While not what some might expect as part of their Mediterranean experience, these hotels offer comfortable modern accomodation of a type that many taking such organised tours appear to value above being in a more traditional hotel in the immediate proximity of the old city of Salerno - so it probably depends whether you'd be going into Salerno very often - in which case a taxi might well be necessary - or stopping within the confines of the hotel?

There have been previous discussions about that on this Forum, for instance this one:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187781-i1671-k312…

The choice is yours, but it looks like they all use the same bunch of hotels on this leg of the tour!

Peter

PS - If on GoogleMaps, be careful as it's not in localita Santandrea as was shown on mine, but down on the coast - on the corner of Via G. Clark (short for Via Generale Clark, he of the landings) and the road that leads up to the interchange for the Tangenziale.

I'm sure I can see construction cranes on the site in their satellite image - which may well account for the lack of reviews to date..

Maplewood, New...
3. Re: New Hotel in Salerno: The Novotel Salerno

ok. wow. thanks for the post! I, for some reason, had it in my mind that flights had stopped, no? am I dreaming? anyway...yeah ;-) 'm dying to fly into Salerno one of these days rather than Naples.

Isola d'Ischia...
4. Re: New Hotel in Salerno: The Novotel Salerno

Still operating as far as I know, though some seasonal flights may well not be - this is what the airport currently lists.....

www.aeroportosalerno.it/default.aspx…

Personally I'm watching for the other airport to open, as there's likely to be a link to Ischia and Procida from Torregaveta, only 15 minutes directly across from here. Then we could (theoretically) be home one hour after landing, rather than two or more!

Peter

Maplewood, New...
5. Re: New Hotel in Salerno: The Novotel Salerno

looks like there it's just a different carrier now (Spanish co I seem to recall when it first opened?) anyway Torregaveta doesn't help me...but looks like it would be great for getting out to the islands!! Salerno is not much closer for me than Naples - 1 1/2 hours...but it is a very quiet, scenic and easy drive :-), which, would be nice after a long flight.

Isola d'Ischia...
6. Re: New Hotel in Salerno: The Novotel Salerno

Torregaveta would indeed be good for Ischia and Procida and - despite it only having one simple pier - Alilauro ran a test service between the three some time back:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/83695495

Probably works for Capri too, as it's not much further than Beverello, but without the city to negotiate to get there!

Patience all round....

Peter

7. Re: New Hotel in Salerno: The Novotel Salerno

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, July 21, 2010