We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 babies, 2 parents, 2 grandparents, 3 suitcases from Milan

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
2 babies, 2 parents, 2 grandparents, 3 suitcases from Milan

We will be travelling from Milan by train on Sunday 27th April to the Amalfi Coast (start 27th April). We will be splitting our time in Amalfi and Sorrento with 3 to 4 days in each with no preference for which one first although we were leaning towards Amalfi first. We want to stay in Amalfi and use it as a base to also enjoy Positano and Ravello at a casual pace with only small bus rides or ferries. We will use Sorrento for a base for Pompeii, Capri or Ischia and enjoying Sorrento as well.

We are trying to work out the best option (most ease) in getting there for us given all of our prams, luggage and there being 6 of us in total. We have chosen to train(not booked ticket yet) and not fly from Milan and we have been to Amalfi and Sorrento before so we know our way around a bit. We were trying to decide whether to get off the train in Naples (Sunday approx 6pm) and then catch the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento. But I was thinking the easier option is probably to stay on the train to Salerno, then either get a SITA bus or get a private transfer to Amalfi. We haven't been to Salerno before and we are not thinking of staying there this time, just to use it to get to Amalfi. Does that sound the best and easiest option given we have our pram, kids and luggage or am I missing something?

I haven't looked how much the private transfer is, but I assume it would be between 60-90 Euros from Salerno to Amalfi and that the SITA bus if the timetable works out fine would be reasonably easy and probably the option we would take.

From Amalfi to Sorrento (or the other way around) we will just use the SITA bus. We were thinking of hiring a car, however with all of us we would need a big car and I don't think that would be a lot of fun driving around when we could just relax when someone else is driving or we are on a boat.

Any help would be appreciated

1 reply
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 11
1. Re: 2 babies, 2 parents, 2 grandparents, 3 suitcases from Milan

As you are considering staying in Amalfi itself, I would go the Salerno route; it will eliminate one leg of public transportation. For that many people with all that stuff, I'd spring for the car service for ease and comfort - given how many of you there are, it would not be all that much. It takes about 70 minutes, depending on traffic, from Salerno to Amalfi.

The boats begin running at different times each year - some years, the service starts later than others (economic realities decide).

But, in this case - Salerno whether bus or car service.

Reply to: 2 babies, 2 parents, 2 grandparents, 3 suitcases from Milan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted