We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using public transport from Naples to amalfi

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff, United...
reviews: 6
Using public transport from Naples to amalfi

I m hoping for some advise

My husband and myself are spending 4 days at the hotel Fontana Amalfi next week ( my big 50 th birthday) we need to get from Naples airport to the hotel using public transport I,m slightly confused as to the best route do we need to get Sorrento first or as suggested by some trip adviser to get a taxi to an alternative bus station which would be quicker? Also can anyone recommend some reasonably priced restaurant near the hotel . A little worried about the cost of everything as we are going on a budget . This is our first time to Amalfi so don,t know what to expect . Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
1. Re: Using public transport from Naples to amalfi

You can take the bus from the airport to Napoli Centrale (main train station), go down to the lower level to catch the local train, Circumvesuviana, to Sorrento (cost less than 4 euros) - which takes about one hour; then in Sorrento at the train/bus station (same), catch the SITA bus to Amalfi, which will take about another 1.25 hour plus - with traffic, it will take longer - Get the bus tickets at the little counter/shop at the Sorrento station. It will like be packed (the bus) and sometimes to the point where you can't get on and need to wait for another; people do not wait in orderly lines so you need to be somewhat aggressive, though not obnoxious about it, when getting on board the bus.

The taxi from Naples would run about 120 plus euros so I am guessing since you say you are on a budget, that would not be a good option for you.

The Circumvesuviana runs about every 30 minutes or so.

Prices for restaurants are posted in all places so you will know the cost before entering. Someone who spends time in Amalfi (the village) will probably have recommendations for you; I always stay in Positano so don't know Amalfi restaurants.

Cardiff, United...
2. Re: Using public transport from Naples to amalfi

Many thanks for taking the time to reply, all the info is very useful and takes some of the anxiety out of traveling to a new place

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
3. Re: Using public transport from Naples to amalfi

You might want to scroll through the many threads on the Amalfi forum here on TA to get some info/ideas; most of everything has already been written about and it is a good resource, besides your guidebook.

For some info on the area:

www.positano.com

www.amalficoastweb.com

Blog by someone who lives there:

http://www.ciaoamalfi.com

Photos of Positano (if you get there, what you will see) - from someone who lives in Positano and posts daily photos:

https:/…240194169415355

Florence, Italy
reviews: 93
4. Re: Using public transport from Naples to amalfi

I highly recommend taking a private transfer from Airport to your Hotel. It is not really recommended to transfer with all your luggage using public transport firstly for discomfort (carrying luggage on a off buses and walking km) and also for safety.

contact Roberto athttp://www.sorrentolimousineservice.com

Oxford UK
reviews: 45
5. Re: Using public transport from Naples to amalfi

<<and also for safety.>>

There is nothing dangerous with any of the public transport options suggested in this thread. Both the Circumvesuviana and the SITA bus to Amalfi are perfectly safe.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
reviews: 23
6. Re: Using public transport from Naples to amalfi

Naples to Amalfi by public transportation:

tripadvisor.com/…53043915

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
7. Re: Using public transport from Naples to amalfi

The OP has clearly stated they are on a budget. Not everyone has the budget to pay 120 euros both ways for private transportation; if someone has it, yes, that is the comfortable way to go but if someone doesn't have it - public transportation is fine - though, it can be frustrating in terms of some scheduling (some trains, buses do get delayed) and as mentioned, buses get very crowded.

Not all people have problems with luggage on trains and buses; it is not that big a deal as long as you don't have an excessive amount of luggage - something that is very strongly discouraged.

The whole "safety" bit is hyperbole - overblown to extremes in these forums

Basic common sense precautions regarding your personal items is definitely needed so avoid a pickpocket situation - keep those items (money, credit cards, passport) close to you at all times and you should be just fine; just like any big city.

Cardiff, United...
8. Re: Using public transport from Naples to amalfi

Many thanks for the replies I now have a plan . Can,t wait

St Paul, MN
9. Re: Using public transport from Naples to amalfi

There is nothing dangerous on the public transport to Amalfi form Naples airport. tt woud cost in excess of 100 euro each way.

" highly recommend taking a private transfer from Airport to your Hotel. It is not really recommended to transfer with all your luggage using public transport firstly for discomfort (carrying luggage on a off buses and walking km) and also for safety.

contact Roberto athttp://www.sorrentolimousineservice.com"

Is Roberto your cousin? Like that other post of yours about using a travel agent just to stay on Capri.

10. Re: Using public transport from Naples to amalfi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:38 am, October 15, 2014