We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End October - Driving along Amalfi Coast

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 37
End October - Driving along Amalfi Coast

We are 2 adults, scheduled to fly into Naples on 26 October for our Amalfi trip. We intend to rent a car in Naples and drive along the coast (Ravello > Amalfi >Positano > Naples Airport).

Cutting to the chase - I am worried about the drive. How will traffic be like around end October? I have seen many photos online re buses and cars trying to cross an impossible curve, the bends etc. I have also heard stories about how stressful and difficult it can be to drive along the coast, inspite of the beautiful views.

FYI - Our experience with left hand drive is limited to USA (California Big Sur highway, Las Vegas city and Death Valley) and Korea. Our day to day driving experience is limited to city driving. It is our first time driving in Italy & Europe (which i think we can get used to from the drive from Naples Airport > Pompeii > Amalfi Coast)

Would you recommend that we go by train + bus + ferry between towns instead? (Would hate to do that and miss the views, but safety first)

Many thanks in advance

Kai

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
11. Re: End October - Driving along Amalfi Coast

Just 4 hours will make it difficult; it takes about 1.5 hours one way to Positano from Naples - so, you may be able to get that far but I wouldn't go further (Amalfi will take another 40 minutes beyond Positano and you don't have time) - If you need to fit this in that short window of time. A brief road trip to Positano - maybe pop out and have a coffee and gaze at the view for 20 minutes and then back you go.

Your original post said you had a day so I made my recommendation based on that statement.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 2
12. Re: End October - Driving along Amalfi Coast

That was the original plan as we booked airone flight from Venice arriving Naples at 8am. Unfortunately they canceled the flight so I have to do EasyJet which arrives 1130am. We visit Pompeii by private car/guide for a couple of hours then on to the drive. We have to be back to Naples train station for the 7pm return trip to Rome. Thanks for the advice.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
13. Re: End October - Driving along Amalfi Coast

A good driver/car service will have info as to traffic conditions - I would want to be at the Napoli Centrale station about 20 minutes prior to your train to Rome; always nice if you are in an unfamiliar station (and, even if familiar) to have a bit of time to get your bearings. Track (binario) numbers will be posted for your train around 15 minutes before departure - it can sometimes even be a bit less than 15 minutes before.

The car service I use when staying in Positano has alerted me to traffic issues (boulder in coast road and work stoppage at Sorrento) and the need to leave earlier than original planned. That is what you will get with a good car service - someone who knows what's happening.

Have fun!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 2
14. Re: End October - Driving along Amalfi Coast

Yes I've been getting some good feedback and suggestions from my driver too and it's always good to get more insight from an unbiased third party. Great advice and thanks much. We will have fun!

15. Re: End October - Driving along Amalfi Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 05, 2014