We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End October - Driving along Amalfi Coast

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 37
End October - Driving along Amalfi Coast

We are 2 adults, scheduled to fly into Naples on 26 October for our Amalfi trip. We intend to rent a car in Naples and drive along the coast (Ravello > Amalfi >Positano > Naples Airport).

Cutting to the chase - I am worried about the drive. How will traffic be like around end October? I have seen many photos online re buses and cars trying to cross an impossible curve, the bends etc. I have also heard stories about how stressful and difficult it can be to drive along the coast, inspite of the beautiful views.

FYI - Our experience with left hand drive is limited to USA (California Big Sur highway, Las Vegas city and Death Valley) and Korea. Our day to day driving experience is limited to city driving. It is our first time driving in Italy & Europe (which i think we can get used to from the drive from Naples Airport > Pompeii > Amalfi Coast)

Would you recommend that we go by train + bus + ferry between towns instead? (Would hate to do that and miss the views, but safety first)

Many thanks in advance

Kai

14 replies to this topic
Florence, Italy
reviews: 298
1. Re: End October - Driving along Amalfi Coast

Hi h00ked0ntravel,

by ferry (NOT by hydrofoil) not only you don't lose the landscape, but rather enjoy it more: The Amalfi Coast is unmatched if viewed from the boat. The only way to see the Coast which can compare with this by suggestion is to walk on paths, where possible (for example on the so-called "Walk of the Gods" between Bomerano and Positano, on which there is plenty of topics on TA).

The boats stop at all the most interesting towns. Only you need to catch a bus for Ravello, which is high on the coast.

That said, the road along the Amalfi Coast in October is quite feasible, if you avoid the weekends. But unfortunately, October 26 is precisely Saturday.

Brun066

Edited: 6:18 am, September 18, 2013
Singapore
2. Re: End October - Driving along Amalfi Coast

Thanks Brun066!

Will it make a difference if we get in on a Sunday (I am guessing not).

By feasible, do you mean traffic can be relatively loose, dont have to worry about tour buses and people honking us if we end up "leading" a convoy of cars due to our speed etc? One good way to look at it is - whether parking will be an issue around Amalfi and Positano.

Otherwise, from Naples Airport, we will either (1) take a train from airport to Naples train station > train to Salerno > ferry from Salerno to Amalfi for the night or (2) look into getting a private car service from eg Guermar.

Florence, Italy
3. Re: End October - Driving along Amalfi Coast

Using the word "feasible" I mean that it is less likely to get caught in traffic jams. If, going slowly, you form a queue behind you, this is always possible, even with little traffic.

Brun066

Singapore
4. Re: End October - Driving along Amalfi Coast

Just to close off this thread:

We were in Amalfi Coast in the last week of October. Gorgeous scenery, crowd was pleasant and manageable.

For those intending to drive during shoulder season - Traffic wise (which was the point of this thread) roads were generally light in traffic. The only time we encountered traffic was on the road from Positano to Naples Airport (once because a tour bus was navigating the streets, another was an accident :( ) and in those instances it was about 15-20 mins wait each. It would have been a nice time to drive along the Amalfi but you would have to deal with the windy roads (oh my churning stomach) and parking issues (big issue especially if you are not used to parallel parking in tight spaces).

We took Brun066 suggestion and took a myriad of public transport: 1) bus from Amalfi to Ravello; 2) ferry from Amalfi to Positano; 3) ferry from Positano to Capri. We loved our time in Amalfi

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
reviews: 11
5. Re: End October - Driving along Amalfi Coast

Thanks for checking back!

Florence, Italy
6. Re: End October - Driving along Amalfi Coast

I'm glad that your trip is done well on the whole. Thanks for the report!

Brun066

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 2
7. Re: End October - Driving along Amalfi Coast

Will be in Naples for a day trip mid November, wondering which has a more scenic coastal view as we will be having a private car driver, Naples to Sorrento or Naples to Positano. I would like to see beautiful coastal scenery, homes on the cliffs etc. Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
8. Re: End October - Driving along Amalfi Coast

Will be in Naples for a day trip mid November, wondering which has a more scenic coastal view as we will be having a private car driver, Naples to Sorrento or Naples to Positano. I would like to see beautiful coastal scenery, homes on the cliffs etc. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
9. Re: End October - Driving along Amalfi Coast

Naples to Positano absolutely - keep going until you reach Amalfi (the village) so you get a nice feel of the Amalfi Coast. Up to Sorrento is okay - but Sorrento is not on the Amalfi Coast so you don't start to get the views of it until you pass through Sorrento.

Chicago, Illinois
10. Re: End October - Driving along Amalfi Coast

Oh yes I'm sorry, I knew going to Sorrento is on the other side but we will have a very limited time around 4 hours) from Naples, just to mostly sightsee. So wondering which has a more picturesque coastal view from Naples where you can see those homes on the cliffs etc.... Thanks.

Reply to: End October - Driving along Amalfi Coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted