We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Amalfi Coast

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
3 days in Amalfi Coast

Hi all,

I will be traveling to the Amalfi coast for 3 nights at the end of September with my wife for the final days of our honeymoon. I have several questions if anyone could help me out:

1) We are wondering which city/town should we stay in? or should we move around a little?

2) we are going to be coming from Bari so we will be renting a car. Is there any reason to keep the car with us in Amalfi or should we just use buses or ferries to get around the coast. We will need to get back to FCO airport at some point.

3) What would be a good place to stay for our final night between Amalfi and Rome. We fly out of Rome at 3:50pm so figured we could just make the drive in the morning.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Thomas

10 replies to this topic
Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
reviews: 11
1. Re: 3 days in Amalfi Coast

A few answers:

1. I prefer Positano, as I think it is the most beautiful and romantic town on the AC. With only 3 nights you should stay in 1 town.

2. Absolutely no need to keep the car, especially in September. Return your car in Salerno, then catch the ferry to Positano (it stops briefly in Amalfi on the way). You can use the ferry for a day trip to Amalfi and Ravello, and another day trip by ferry to Capri.

3. I would stay in Positano. To get back to the airport, you should hire a driver to get you to Naples and then fast train to Termini, then taxi to FCO. You must be at FCO a full 3 hours before your flight.

Toronto, Canada
2. Re: 3 days in Amalfi Coast

Engred,

As far as cost and convenience goes I already have a car booked for 5 days from Bari to FCO for $400 CAN. If I just book for one day and drop off in Salerno it is $270. Does it make sense to do the car hire, train thing or should I just maybe leave the car in Salerno and then I can drive myself back to FCO.

Also, do you think there is enough time to get all the way from Amalfi Coast to FCO for a 3:50 flight?

Thanks,

Thomas

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
reviews: 11
3. Re: 3 days in Amalfi Coast

Yes, there is enough time to get from the AC to FCO by 12:45, but it is at least a 3 hour drive from Salerno to FCO (if there is no traffic and no line to return your car), and you would either have to take the very early SITA bus or hire a driver to get you from Positano to Salerno. Are you also taking into account how much it will cost for you to park the car in Salerno for 3 days?

IMO, it is more convenient to go with my original suggestion.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
4. Re: 3 days in Amalfi Coast

I just read a trip report the other day that mentioned that the trip from Rome to the AC was about 1.5 hours longer than usual because of traffic. This is one of a number of reasons I never schedule an international flight if I'm not staying in the city from which I am departing. Too many variables.

Twice in a row when I stayed in Positano, there were delays - first time due to a boulder that fell into the road and another due to an announced, unexpected worker stoppage in Sorrento (I was going to Naples instead of Salerno) and so we had to build in another 1.5 hours into the usual 1.5 hours to Naples; the only way I knew about it was that the car service heard about it because they are able to keep up to speed on such things.

It is all about personal comfort levels - I could never chance this trip on the morning of a flight - it will take you more like 4 hours plus to reach FCO. I would leave no later than about 6 a.m. and if you then end up with an extra hour because things sped along, great; better than if you end up being an hour too late.

And, given that you are there in September, high season, you need to assume heavy traffic - even early in the day - which I have experienced along that route.

Toronto, Canada
5. Re: 3 days in Amalfi Coast

Thanks for the advise. I think we are going to leave Positano on the Friday. Not sure where we should stay for our last night between there and Rome though. Any suggestions?

Thomas

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
6. Re: 3 days in Amalfi Coast

Leave later in the day and drop your car off at FCO (or at Termini in Rome) and then hop into Rome via the train - doesn't take long - have one last night there; it takes only 30 minutes via train from Rome to FCO via the Leonardo Express or, in a taxi in the morning, about 40 minutes or so.

Or - maybe even go into Naples, find somewhere to get rid of the car where there isn't a ZTL - enjoy an afternoon and night in Naples, take a fast 70 minute train to Roma Termini in the morning from which you can then catch the LE or take a taxi to FCO - that all would take you roughly 2.5 hours. You could take a 9 a.m. or so train from Napoli Centrale to Roma Termini. This way you'd get to at least explore wonderful Naples even if for a short amount of time - if you haven't already done so.

Others may know of somewhere close to Rome where you could spend the night but I can't think of any -

Toronto, Canada
7. Re: 3 days in Amalfi Coast

Momcat,

We have booked a room in Naples for our last night. We plan on leaving Positano early so we have the day in Naples. We will most likely make a quick stop in Pompei on the way by. We are leaving the next day at 3:55 from FCO. What should we look to do in Naples? Maybe just a really good restaurant for our last night if you have any ideas?

Thanks,

Thomas

new jersey
reviews: 52
8. Re: 3 days in Amalfi Coast

I just came back from the area and I hired a private driver for 8 hours in Sorrento and spent the day touring the Almalfi Coast, and made 2 stops. Positano and Ravello, they are just beautiful little towns. In box me and will give you the info if you are interested. It will be less than 200.00 euros for the day.

New York City, New...
9. Re: 3 days in Amalfi Coast

Hey we are planning a trip to AC this summer first week of June for about 3-4 days,we are 2 adults and a 3 year old toddler. Which town would be best suitable for us as the coastline has plenty of stairs.We will have a stroller but like to walk. Would prefer a hotel over an apartment rental.

Thanks!

new jersey
reviews: 52
10. Re: 3 days in Amalfi Coast

Hi,

1) Sorrento (stay), it's the most central place to stay.

2) From here you can take the Ferry to Capri and Ana Capri all in one day.

3) Almalfi coast in 8 hours you can get to see Positanoand Ravelo and drive thru the entire Almalfi Coast,hire a driver and safe the euros for this instead of the rent a car.

4) Take the local trains to Naples and hop on the express to Rome. 2 hours, take the taxi to the airport.

Have fun! Will feverishly explore Sorrento!

Reply to: 3 days in Amalfi Coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted