We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Power Adapter ?

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Power Adapter ?

Hello All

Can anyone please tell me what type of power adapter is best for use in Amalfi when traveling from the USA. I have heard thet there may be slightly different types of power sockets in use throughout italy? We will be spending a few nites in Rome also. Any ifo would be appreciated.

Thank You for any help you can provide.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Power Adapter ?

The only difference in the sockets is whether they have 3 holes (are grounded) or 2 holes (not grounded). So I always bring just a 2 pronged adapter (or two) so I don't have to worry about finding a 3 hole outlet.

United States
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Power Adapter ?

The adapter doesn't have anything to do with power. It just adapts the prongs to fit the outlets. You will need electronics which are dual voltage or handle the 220/240 voltage. Check the items for their ability to use 110-240 voltage. Converters can be bulky and heavy although they are making smaller ones these days. It's best to bring things that can handle the current without a converter.

All I have ever needed* for Italy is this type sold in most travel departments (REI, Walmart, Target, department stores):

I like the individual adapters instead of the "all in one" types.

* I have occasionally needed a different type for higher power items like an iron or toaster but they were always provided with the appliance.

3. Re: Power Adapter ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 11, 2014