We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Naples Airport/Amalfi

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Royal Oak, Michigan
reviews: 5
Car Rental Naples Airport/Amalfi

We are flying to Naples and plan to rent a car for our onward trip/stay in Amalfi.

Any recommendations on car rental companies? National/Maggiore seem reasonably cheap when compared to Hertz, Budget etc but I've heard a few worrying things about National/Maggiore for charging extras long after the rental was finished and difficulties in communicating with them if you encouter issues/problems.

Any advice or recommendations welcome!

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
reviews: 11
1. Re: Car Rental Naples Airport/Amalfi

When are you traveling? Renting a car for a stay in Amalfi is generally a bad idea unless you are going in the off-season.

Royal Oak, Michigan
2. Re: Car Rental Naples Airport/Amalfi

We are heading there mid-late September, the hotel has parking so it's a good option for us.

I'll check out public transport options too but generally we just like the freedom of coming and going as we please when it comes to sightseeing for the other towns on the coast, Sorrento, Pompeii etc.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
3. Re: Car Rental Naples Airport/Amalfi

It will be nightmarish traffic when you are there but as long as you know that, then you won't be surprised (well, you will be if for no other reason than the nature of drive itself and what you encounter with buses and having to back up to let them pass, etc) but if you are prepared, then it may prove a convenience. It will still be high season then.

I use Autoeurope to book cars. You might check with them. If you need an automatic, getting at the airport is likely the best bet as most rentals are manuals.

Do get an International Driver's Permit - it is legally required in Italy; you get them at AAA offices.

Oh - and read up on ZTLs (the restricted zones in the cities/towns/villages) so you don't get caught out entering without thinking and ending up with a big fine arriving in your mail.

Here's a bit of info but googling it and other driving rules, etc in Italy is needed so you know what to look out for:

roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy

(not just about Rome; has photos/info about the ZTLs and few other driving issues to know)

Edited: 1:54 pm, May 28, 2013
Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
reviews: 11
4. Re: Car Rental Naples Airport/Amalfi

It's not just the traffic, but also the parking when you get to your destination - scarce and very expensive. The exception would be if you are going south to, say, Paestum. The traffic to/through Salerno will likely be terrible, but fairly easy from Salerno to Paestum - or at least it was when we were there in October.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
reviews: 96
5. Re: Car Rental Naples Airport/Amalfi

Assume you know you can't just pop in and out of the villages and expect to find parking but as Engred says, Paestum is convenient with a car and there is a big parking lot there - which you pay to use. Pompeii and Herculaneum also have parking, although the Ercolano streets leading to the parking lot are tiny and choked with traffic.

Royal Oak, Michigan
6. Re: Car Rental Naples Airport/Amalfi

I'm from Ireland so our coast roads are similar in size it seems to those on the Amalfi!

Thanks for the tips; I wasn't aware an IDP was required in Italy. I'm glad we weren't stopped when we drove our own car to Monza/Lakes when we lived in Europe (although I guess then I had an EU driving licence so it may not have been an issue)

7. Re: Car Rental Naples Airport/Amalfi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 31, 2014