We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ravello to Rome on day of flight?

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
reviews: 90
Ravello to Rome on day of flight?

Not coming until October but getting accommodations etc booked. Right now we plan on having our last 2 nights in Ravello..and then we fly out of Rome. Have booked driver as there are 4 of us. plan is to leave Ravello at 6 am for airport arrival by 10:30 am. It will be Saturday Oct 12. Our flight is at 1:30. We will have checked in online..am I being unrealistic with this plan? I know it's often "safer" to be in airport town day before flight out but really don't want to do an overnight in Rome and figure with our flight time we'd not have any time in the morning to see anything anyway. Welcome any comments from others who have done this drive.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
11. Re: Ravello to Rome on day of flight?

Momcat I would have actually done 3 nights Ravello and 4 Atrani but the accommodations we wanted were booked. I usually prefer at least 3 nights in one place but sometimes 2 just works better as at least it gives you one full day in a place...that was our thinking with Ravello. I realize it's very close to Atrani but wanted to be able to go out, watch the sun set, have a nice dinner, walk back to our hotel...

Funny about Capri..I was thinking of cutting to one night! but then we'd not have one full day. I find the full day lets you have at least a sense of the place you're visiting.

I've read your many postings. We try to do a combination of sight seeing and sight sitting! Looked at Positano, Praiano but one of us has bad knees..Atrani seemed close enough to Amalfi to get boats for coast travel yet a bit out of the hustle and bustle. Plan to visit Positano one day and Vietri/Paestum another then just poke around locally for the other 2 days.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
reviews: 23
12. Re: Ravello to Rome on day of flight?

If you have a VERY high risk tolerance, here is a way to get from Ravello to FCO Airport by 10:30 a.m. without spending 400 Euros for a private car transfer (I don't recommend doing this, given all the risks of something going wrong, particularly with the weather conditions in October):

1. Ravello to Amalfi by Taxi: 30 Euros;

2. Amalfi to Naples by direct SITA bus at 5:45 a.m. (bypasses Salerno, Monday through Saturday) arrive Naples 7:45 a.m.: 4.10 Euros;

3. Napoli Centrale to Roma Tiburtina by Trenitalia Frecciarossa at 8:05 a.m. arrive Tiburtina 9:13 a.m.: 19 Euros SUPER ECONOMY fare;

4. Roma Tiburtina to FCO by Taxi (fixed rate 55 Euros) OR by Trenitalia airport train (8 Euros)

Total fare for four adults: 177.40 Euros (23 Euros less if taking airport train to FCO).

If you're going to spend the last night in Ravello, hiring a private transfer all the way to FCO is sensible given all the risks of relying entirely on public transportation and an early afternoon plane departure.

If you have very low risk tolerance, you'd spend the last night in Rome.

Texas
reviews: 70
13. Re: Ravello to Rome on day of flight?

The drive from Naples to Rome (or actually before that once you get down from the hills and onto a main road) is absolutely fine.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
14. Re: Ravello to Rome on day of flight?

Yes, the drive is fine; personally, I just find it boring. It's not a difficult drive at all.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
15. Re: Ravello to Rome on day of flight?

So one option would be to use the private transfer to somewhere near the Rome airport like Fiumicino on the afternoon/evening before our flight.. have a nice dinner and then make our way to the airport in the morning. I know we can also take the train but we then have driver to Naples and train to catch ..then another transfer. We will not have a lot of luggage ( 1 carry on each) BUT 2 of us are pottery collectors and we're doing a day trip to Vietri sooo we may have, shall we say, excess luggage, which I really don't want to deal with on a train. With a driver we do have the option of stopping a few times.

It's interesting about boring drives..we do a 2000 km drive every summer from the coast to the prairies.. some of it I find boring after 15 years but other parts are always interesting....I do think that the first time you drive across new to you scenery it's always a discovery...

Will have a look at the website Peter has posted and welcome any ideas about place to stay near airport that has a good restaurant!

I am still tempted to just leave that morning but go at 5 am but also am aware of issues like rockfalls etc.. we have that same problem here with places like Whistler that have one main road in and also ferries... I often recommend that people be on this side of the water before their flight yet am contemplating doing the opposite of what I usually recommend...lol

GAC definitely could do your route if I was 10 years younger and didn't expect to be carrying a lovely Vietri piece..but not this trip ;)

16. Re: Ravello to Rome on day of flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 16, 2014