We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ravello to Rome on day of flight?

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
reviews: 69
Ravello to Rome on day of flight?

Not coming until October but getting accommodations etc booked. Right now we plan on having our last 2 nights in Ravello..and then we fly out of Rome. Have booked driver as there are 4 of us. plan is to leave Ravello at 6 am for airport arrival by 10:30 am. It will be Saturday Oct 12. Our flight is at 1:30. We will have checked in online..am I being unrealistic with this plan? I know it's often "safer" to be in airport town day before flight out but really don't want to do an overnight in Rome and figure with our flight time we'd not have any time in the morning to see anything anyway. Welcome any comments from others who have done this drive.

New York
reviews: 28
1. Re: Ravello to Rome on day of flight?

There's always a risk of something going wrong and you have no time built in to account for that. In theory the plan works if everything goes exactly perfect on the drive up. But you just never know if there is an accident causing big delays, roadwork, flat tire or whatever else is possible. The same can all happen the day before, but then you have time if anything should happen and you don't risk missing your flight. A lot of people will say go for it no problem, others will tell you only go for it if you can afford to miss the flight if something unexpected happens, and others will say absolutely don't risk it.

St. Marys, OH
reviews: 14
2. Re: Ravello to Rome on day of flight?

That's a risk and expense we choose not to take. Anything can happen, and a transfer to Rome by car is very expensive.

We always stay in Praiano on the AC and we take the train to Rome the day before our flight. We're fully relaxed, not worrying about not making it, and we always have a great last day in Rome, just walking around, enjoying Rome, and then we have a nice dinner before turning in early. Romecabs takes us to the airport the next day. Easy, comfortable, relaxed, no risk.

Isola d'Ischia...
reviews: 2
3. Re: Ravello to Rome on day of flight?

As they say, **** happens - and during at least two of the last few autumns there have been situations like these....

salernitanafans.forumfree.it/?t=50694809

positanonews.it/articoli/82929/diluvio_a_pos…

... that have caused huge upsets on the roads in and out of the AC.

If your issue is with staying in Rome itself, perhaps consider other places within easy striking distance - Sperlonga, Orvieto or even Bracciano for example.... or somewhere nearer the airport - Fiumicino or Ostia maybe?

For what it's worth, the tourism site for the Province of Rome - some 100+ comunes that surround the capital - is here:

http://www.romaepiu.it/en

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
reviews: 93
4. Re: Ravello to Rome on day of flight?

Peter - your first link takes you to a football fan site - am guessing that's not correct (unless rampaging fans blocked the road :)

The other link about the storm - I was there about a week later and you would never know this river of mud had just happened.

To the OP - I left Positano by road on the day of my flight back to Australia and would never do it again - far too stressful, expensive and also too much traffic. Roadworks delayed us by over an hour and even though we had a built in buffer of time, I was busy imagining how I'd pay for a re-scheduled flight all the way to Sydney if we missed it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
5. Re: Ravello to Rome on day of flight?

I was there 1.5 years ago (late October) and there was a storm and a boulder fell onto the road and it was closed for a number of days (it happened the day after I arrived and so did not affect me leaving a week later, but....) - You just never know.

Two years ago, there was a work slowdown/stoppage near Sorrento that caused significant delays - up to an hour or so - and for someone rushing to get to an airport more than 4 plus hours from Ravello, that would have been a real problem.

Everyone has a different risk level but I too always spend my last night in the city from which I'm flying home - I'm not able to absorb the loss of an international ticket. And, I really don't like being anxious especially after a nice holiday.

I think it is hard for people to imagine the area and the roads there if they have never been. Two lane roads with one lane in either direction is ripe for traffic and other problems.

Texas
reviews: 60
6. Re: Ravello to Rome on day of flight?

Life is full of what ifs. Yes something MIGHT go wrong, but in all probability 99 times out of 100 you will be fine. Your time on the AC is short. You give up a high portion of that to leave the previous day. We never from anywhere leave early just to spend the night at the airport. Life's too short to spend nights at the airport:-) However we are very good at getting up very early. We certainly would go up in the morning, but I might go a bit earlier for the departure - not much difference between 5 or 5:30 rather than 6. Better to be sitting at the airport a bit longer in the morning than spending the night in a hotel there imho.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
7. Re: Ravello to Rome on day of flight?

I never spend the night at an airport; I always stay in Rome or in the city from which I'm flying - There's no need to stay at the airport.

Everyone is different. Some people would have a nagging worry about this, others won't. I'm sure the OP will figure out what to do based on posts here and knowing herself/himself. I think the potential landmines have been articulated -

But - staying at an airport when you could have a last night in Rome would be a terrible waste of a night since it is such a short trip to the airport - IF the OP decides to return to Rome the night before.

If I were doing this, I'd take the private driver to Naples and hop on the fast as lightning 70 minute train to Rome, connect to the Leonardo Express to FCO and bypass the boring slog of a drive that it is between Naples and Rome. But, they may have reasons for doing a drive instead.

Isola d'Ischia...
reviews: 2
8. Re: Ravello to Rome on day of flight?

Kathy - whatever you're guessing, the link is correct -with the story headline...

MALTEMPO: FRANA ATRANI, MONITORAGGIO CONTINUO SU AREA

Perhaps before you knew of this area, but no joking matter - a terrible tragedy that took rather longer than a day to put right...

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1310831/Barmaid…

... and very similar to one we'd had here on Ischia the preceding year:

inabbondanza.com/journal/2009/11/10/fatal-la…

Peter

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
reviews: 69
9. Re: Ravello to Rome on day of flight?

Thank you all very much for your insights. You're right I don't know the road ( but have been looking at youtube lol..glad I'm not driving)..and I don't know what the drive is like between Naples and Rome. We try to drive whenever possible as we really enjoy just looking at the countryside. We actually will have had 10 nights Sicily, 5 nights Massa Lubrense ( farmhouse in hills above Sorrento), 2 nights Capri, 5 nights Atrani and then our last 2 nights in Ravello..so we could forego that last night in Ravello and head to Rome, We've all been to Rome before ( 2 loved it 2 did not..we're 2 couples travelling together) and my original inclination was to go to Rome or airport area for our last night....it's just that I've heard so much about the beauty of Ravello that it seemed like a perfect ending spot for our trip.

Sometimes we've been far from our flight home on last day/night other times we've been right next door...I find as I get older my risk tolerance seems to lower ;)

will have another look at trains...and also spots closer like Orvieto.

We wanted to fly out of Naples but then were faced with the Gatwick Heathrow connection which we've done before and which can also be a ail biter.

While I'm here is there any one place to post our complete itinerary for comments or should I simply break it up into chunks and post in local forums?

btw want to thank you all for all your information have done a ton of reading of these forums ( otherwise known as lurking by some) over the past few months and you've all been most helpful in giving me ideas for sorting our trip.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
10. Re: Ravello to Rome on day of flight?

If you only end up spending one night in Ravello, I'd suggest not moving from Atrani - it's just down the road from Ravello and it would eliminate the hassle of checking in and out of another hotel, just for one night. Obviously, if everything is already booked, keep as is but with Atrani so close, you can so easily enjoy Ravello for a full day and well into the evening before returning to Atrani.

I just have an aversion to moving lodging too much - especiall when one is just about 20 -30 minutes away. (I would have added another night to Capri myself but I'm smitten with that island)