We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

high speed train Rome to Sorrento (to get to Positano)

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
potomac, MD
high speed train Rome to Sorrento (to get to Positano)

can anyone advise me about the high speed train from Rome's Roma Termini with a final destination of Positano ? Does it go to directly to Salerno, or do I need to change train lines?

I would like to take a cab from Salerno to our hotel in Positano as well. Thank you for any advice !

Edited: 1:22 am, April 26, 2013
12 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
reviews: 3
1. Re: high speed train Rome to Sorrento (to get to Positano)

direct and under 2 hours.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
2. Re: high speed train Rome to Sorrento (to get to Positano)

Direct trains Rome to Salerno. See www.trenitalia.com looking for trains from Roma Termini to Salerno.

3. Re: high speed train Rome to Sorrento (to get to Positano)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:40 pm, April 28, 2013

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
reviews: 11
4. Re: high speed train Rome to Sorrento (to get to Positano)

As Peter suggested, if you can arrive in Salerno before 3, you can take the ferry to Positano which is a wonderful way to see the coast. If you can't or won't take the ferry, then I would pre-arrange to have a driver meet you at the station and drive you to Positano, rather than use a regular taxi.

potomac, MD
5. Re: high speed train Rome to Sorrento (to get to Positano)

Thanks so much! nothing like hearing from folks who have already been there. The ferry idea is great. And so is the pre-arranged taxi. Can you reccomend a good taxi company for the drive from Salerno to Positano ?

Indianapolis...
reviews: 1
6. Re: high speed train Rome to Sorrento (to get to Positano)

How much is the hight speed train from Rome to Sorrento? How long is the trip?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
7. Re: high speed train Rome to Sorrento (to get to Positano)

There is no high speed train Rome to Sorrento; you would take the high speed train to Naples from Rome, do down to the lower level and catch the local, Circumvesuviana, train to Sorrento (60-70 minutes to Sorrento) - the local train to Sorrento is less than 5 euros

The fast train to Naples from Rome is base fare of 43 euros but if you buy online in advance you may be able to get a much lower discounted fare (check terms and conditions for that discounted fare) at www.trenitalia.com

Costa Rica
8. Re: high speed train Rome to Sorrento (to get to Positano)

Hi,

I'm also looking into travelling from Naples to Sorrento. I checked on this link http://www.eavcampania.it/web/orario for it, but I'm a little confused: Is this the right site? If so, which one is the station I should use to leave from Naples: Is it the Porta Nolana, Centro Direzionale or Garibaldi? Do I have to make the reservation in advance or can I do it at the station when we get there? If so, what is the better option? Thanks!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
9. Re: high speed train Rome to Sorrento (to get to Positano)

Porta Nolana is the terminus of this line, Garibaldi station is the one linked to Trenitalia's Napoli Centrale station. Either will do. See eavcampania.it/web/…20viceversa.pdf Centro Direzionale has no direct trains to Sorrento.

You cannot buy in advance and there are no reserved seats on these trains. Buy in Naples.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
10. Re: high speed train Rome to Sorrento (to get to Positano)

It's the Garibaldi station which is just on the lower level of the Napoli Centrale station; no you don't need (nor can you) to buy tickets in advance - this is a local train used by locals to live their daily lives so it makes a lot of f stops (for shopping, going to school, work, ,etc) - It will take about 60-70 minutes to reach Sorrento, depending which train you get (some make a few more stops than others) - cost is less than 5 euros per person -

I've never had one of those trains run to the schedule (I'm sure many have, just none that I took) so I never bother looking at a time schedule; I just go down and pick up the next one that comes along.

Reply to: high speed train Rome to Sorrento (to get to Positano)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted