We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transport

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
reviews: 17
public transport

We will be visiting Amalfi Coast in september and I would rather use public transport than drive however we need to get back Naples airport by 9am on a sunday so I was wondering if this is possible and if so how.

I was also considering staying at castelleammare di stabia, although I am open to any advice on where to stay, so would this make a difference bearing in mind we have never been before or is staying in Naples on our last night a worthwhile or indeed only option. Any suggestions please

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
1. Re: public transport

Where are you staying? From Positano, for example, it will take roughly 1.5 hours to get to the Naples airport via a car - possibly longer on the bus depending on if it arrives on time, et; if you stay in Amalfi, it will take about 2.25 (roughly) hours to the airport.

I have been there when the coastal road has been shut down because of a boulder in the road after a storm and it falling into the road from the hillside; and know of a number of times the road has been closed. Not saying this is going to happen but stuff happens that you can't predict and it can be a million to one chance.

Personally, I'd stay the night in Naples, enjoy it (it's pretty amazing!) and then get a taxi to the airport which is close to the city, in the a.m.

South Australia
reviews: 12
2. Re: public transport

Agree, stay in Naples or the near the airport www.venere.com

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
reviews: 101
3. Re: public transport

There is a direct bus to Naples airport from the Sorrento train station, but your flight is early--but I agree with the others. Stay in Naples or near the airport.

Isola d'Ischia...
reviews: 2
4. Re: public transport

Just what sort of "need to get back Naples airport by 9am" is that?

Only things are rather different, depending on whether that's your check-in time, two hours before flying - or when you'd be taking off!

If the former, there's no real need to decamp to Naples.... indeed we've managed checkins at 9 from here on Ischia.... although, on a Sunday, Amalfi may well be out of the question with just public transport?

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/132567370

The Curreri Viaggi buses from Sorrento also make a pickup at Castellammare.... with the first of the day (from Sorrento 6.30, there at 7, at the airport by 8) would be plenty early enough for the one, though not the other?

www.curreriviaggi.it/inglese/E_index.html

Or train from either of those places to Naples...

vesuviana.it/web/…202012.pdf

(Those marked FER on that don't run on Sundays)

.... and then a taxi or the Alibus to the airport:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/alibus

A stopover to Naples wouldn't be such a bad idea, as there's lots to see there... but knowing your schedule would help!

Peter

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 17
5. Re: public transport

Sorry for any confusion 9am is the check in time and our departure is at 11am.Reading the replies however I will stay in Naples on our final night as it is not only practical but seems there is plenty to see there anyway.

As we will be there for 7 nights is it worthwhile staying 2 nights as it wasnt something I had thought about or is 1 night sufficient. Thank you for the response as the advice is proving very useful.

thank you for

Isola d'Ischia...
reviews: 2
6. Re: public transport

In which case, that would have been very easily done from Sorrento... but a fine thought to use the opportunity as a chance to see Naples, where there's much more than can be covered in a day!

Some photos taken during the many trips we've made over from here on Ischia, although I'll spare those from Ikea...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/mainlynaples

Rather sadly, the city's visitor magazine hasn't produced a new issue since the one for Xmas 2012, but that's still worth a look - most of it's bilingual!

http://www.inaples.it/eng/quinapoli.htm

Peter

7. Re: public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 26, 2014