We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Praiano or Positano?

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
reviews: 22
Praiano or Positano?

We will have 5 nights on the Amalfi coast this summer and don't know where to stay. We want to visit Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi, Capri etc as well as Pompei for a day trip.

We will be relying on public transport. We were thinking of Positano as we've heard that the beach is lovely but someone suggested Praiano instead. My concern is ease of travel from there.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

St. Marys, OH
reviews: 14
1. Re: Praiano or Positano?

The advantage Positano has are ferries to other places. However, they may not run if it's windy and rough. The SITA buses run up and down the coast all the time. Some of them may be crowded, but it's often dependent on the time of day. The same road runs by both towns.

We always stay in Praiano because it's small, quiet, and a lot fewer tourists. It still has great hotels, restaurants, and the same wonderful views over the sea. It is less expensive also.

There is a small Flavio Goia bus that runs between Praiano and Positano about every 60-90 minutes.

I don't know what your hotel budget is, but take a look at:

http://www.hotelmargherita.info/ We've stayed here 3 times and will again next month. Great place, has a pool and a good restaurant. Fabulous and helpful owners.

http://www.ondaverde.it/ Also very nice place. Has no pool, lower down, below the road, good restaurant. More expensive.

sydney
2. Re: Praiano or Positano?

Thank you very much for your help. I've heard that its a long walk down to the beach at Paiano. Can you fill me in on that please? I have a bad back which I'm hoping will be better by the time we go but can't be sure.

Thanks

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
reviews: 11
3. Re: Praiano or Positano?

If you stay in Praiano, you must take the bus to get anywhere else. If you stay in Positano, you can easily take the ferry to Capri, Amalfi, Sorrento, etc. If ease of transportation is an issue, stay in Positano. Also, 2 great beaches that are easy to walk to. :-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
reviews: 96
4. Re: Praiano or Positano?

Positano does have two beaches - but their ease of accessibility depends on where you stay. I was at Positano last October, stayed at a beautiful budget pensione, but it was a 350 stair walk down to Fornillo Beach. At least it worked off all the pizza I was eating :)

melbourne,aus
reviews: 39
5. Re: Praiano or Positano?

Hi Kathy, can you please tell me which one it was you stayed at? I am so wanting to stay in Positano(its always been a dream of mine) but now Im older and my knees and stairs dont go well together so I am not sure if I should stay there. Do you know of any down closer to the shops and beach that wont break the bank or my knees? lol

sydney
6. Re: Praiano or Positano?

Thank you so much everyone for your answers to my question. I love trip advisor!

New York City, New...
reviews: 29
7. Re: Praiano or Positano?

Hi, I just came across this post as I am close o booking an apt over airbnb in Praino. We are planning on hiring a car so if we want to get the ferry from positano we could drive there....is this a bad idea?

Washington DC...
reviews: 2
8. Re: Praiano or Positano?

If you drove a car to Positano I'm not sure where you'd park.

9. Re: Praiano or Positano?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 19, 2014