We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Midland, Ontario
reviews: 13
driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

My husband and I are traveling to Italy on April 26. We are flying into Rome and have rented a car to drive down to the Amalfi Coast. My question is... how safe is the drive through Italy? Will it be safe to stop off the highway in a town for coffee or bathroom break? Any tips would be helpful! Thanks so much!

23 replies to this topic
Midland, Ontario
11. Re: driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

I was well aware of May 1 and have planned our time accordingly and we won't actually arrive until April 26. But thanks for 'enlightening' me... I guess all the many, many, many hotel sites that I've visited need to be told it's not 'off season'.

Turin
reviews: 1
12. Re: driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

I'm sure it's off season for hotels, but you asked about driving along the Amalfi Coast and I think that, crisis or not, the road after Naples will be packed with locals and short term tourists coming from other regions.

You're going to discover what Italians mean when they say: "Hey, this year we can make the bridge!"

Edited: 8:53 am, April 16, 2013
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
13. Re: driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

I am guessing you are very comfortable with your reaction to jet lag to attempt this drive after arriving after an international flight (if that is the case) and taking on this drive for at least 3.5 hours? Once you get past Sorrento, it is a challenging drive but, again, I am guessing you have taken it into account - or at least, I hope so.

Do expect crowds - nothing like the height of season crowds, but there will be lots of people but you will still have a chance to enjoy the area without the huge masses of people of June, July and especially August. Only thing is the sea will likely still be too cold to swim - but, you never know - you could luck out with that.

Have a safe trip down. (I love the Autogrills - fun places to stop along the way; can't say exactly why I like them so much - I just do).

Midland, Ontario
14. Re: driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

Thanks everyone. I do appreciate all the help and apologize for my earlier sarcasm... Ours is an overnight 8-9 hour direct flight and my hubby can sleep anywhere, anytime so even with 5 or 6 hours of sleep he will do well. But he did want to know about stopping for coffee so we'll definitely use the Autogrills! I did Google street map from Minori to our Villa so he was able to get an idea of what we'll be driving through. And now he knows that we need to back up for buses if we meet them on the road! :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
15. Re: driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

You can actually also get a good idea of the drive if you search youtube for "amalfi coast drive" -

Tel Aviv, Israel
reviews: 33
16. Re: driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

It is much safer than Boston

ireland
reviews: 12
17. Re: driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

Hi Sarchar,

We have done this drive a good number of times particularly the last bit from naples to AC.

I know Cornwall well also and if you have handled that you will be fine. As usual Care and Confidence is key.Despite reputation we have always found driving in Italy safer than at home.

One thing which might surprise you is cost of car parking on AC especially Positano. Check with hotel - few in centre have free parking but some will have subsidised or reduced rates.

Enjoy

Midland, Ontario
18. Re: driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

Thanks, fridaynightfever! That does help my settle my mind some more. And thanks to MomCat1992's suggestion I watched the drive from Minori to Amalfi and saw exactly where we'll be staying! I've checked and triple checked and thankfully the hotel is free parking. I guess it's probably because it's not in any of the towns but partway in between right on the coast road. So besides a trip to Pompeii, we'll just have to plan to bus/boat around and leave the car once we're there. Thanks again, everyone!

ireland
reviews: 12
19. Re: driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

You are welcome-

Car will also be useful for visit to Ravello where there is good parking and not too expensive, close to town square - without being tied to Public Trasport or expensive taxis. We found this useful visiting at sunset and / or a lateish meal in the town. Watching the sunset from the Cimbrone garden terrace and lights coming on in Minori and Maiori from Ravello is a special memory of ours.

Enjoy

Princeton, New...
20. Re: driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

How about the train, is that easy to do? Can you easily get around without a car?

Reply to: driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted