We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Midland, Ontario
reviews: 13
driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

My husband and I are traveling to Italy on April 26. We are flying into Rome and have rented a car to drive down to the Amalfi Coast. My question is... how safe is the drive through Italy? Will it be safe to stop off the highway in a town for coffee or bathroom break? Any tips would be helpful! Thanks so much!

23 replies to this topic
St. Marys, OH
reviews: 14
1. Re: driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

Italy is a very safe country. There's petty crime such as pick pockets and thefts, so I would watch leaving our car with the luggage in it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
2. Re: driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

You don't have to get off the autostrada for coffee or a bathroom break. At fairly frequent intervals, there are service areas by the road where you can buy fuel, use a toilet, and get food. The food is usually pretty good, and you don't waste time driving off the motorway into a town.

Your luggage should be safe, provided you do nothing to indicate that there is luggage in the trunk. Park the car, lock it, and walk away.

There are some notes on driving in Italy here: www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/ItalyDrive.htm

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
reviews: 131
3. Re: driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

I'm sure you have this sorted out - but I assume you have parking on the Amalfi Coast pre-arranged? It is very difficult to park in the villages and the parking stations fill quickly. Also, the traffic can be at a standstill sometimes and the road can resemble a parking lot. Am sure you are aware of this - I don't mean to state the obvious but just in case you don't know, get your parking sorted out before you leave :)

Midland, Ontario
4. Re: driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

Thanks everyone! All of that is very helpful. We'll definitely plan to use the service stations along the way! Karen, I wouldn't say we have it 'sorted' but our Villa does have parking so that is at least one thing! :) If nothing else, we'll have to leave the car there. If you have tips on anything else I can do to pre-arrange parking, that would be greatly appreciated! I got a great rate on the car and it didn't seem that training then busing to our Villa was going to be cheaper... just a lot longer and uncertain we'd catch the train south in time at Termini, etc, etc. Seemed the easiest option to get down there. I'm hoping (naively perhaps) that it being somewhat off-season it won't be exceptionally busy as I'm sure it is later in the year... We shall see! :)

Thanks again!

Midland, Ontario
5. Re: driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

Sorry... that should say Kathy, not Karen! Early morning here! :)

Midland, Ontario
6. Re: driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

Great link, sydneynick! Learned a lot. Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
reviews: 131
7. Re: driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

Sarchaor02 - please contact your villa and let them know you're driving and to make sure the parking is reserved for you just to be on the safe side.

There are parking garages that charge a daily rate but it is really expensive and they fill up quickly.

Just be aware of traffic problems on the AC road. It is windy, narrow, you often have to back up to allow buses to pass (and I saw all this as a car passenger - not the driver - and I was almost having a heart attack!)

Being Canadian you won't have any issues with driving on the 'wrong side' lol - but just be aware the traffic can be absolute madness. Best leave the car for the duration you're there and take the buses or ferries to the other villages.

Midland, Ontario
8. Re: driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

Thanks, Kathy. Good point. I had mentioned that I thought we would be renting a car but I will definitely confirm. Fortunately my hubby is a great driver and has driven us through the likes of Lithuania and the winding narrow roads of Cornwall and England (on the 'wrong' side :0) ) not to mention growing up driving in Toronto so I feel in good hands! I'll have to do some research on the local transportation for once we're there. Much appreciated!

Turin
reviews: 1
9. Re: driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

Off season? Both the 25th of April and the 1st of May are national holidays here in Italy.

Look at the calendar, I'm afraid that many Italians will take some days off and AC will be packed for almost two weeks.

> and I was almost having a heart attack!

Why?

Edited: 6:19 am, April 16, 2013
Turin
reviews: 1
10. Re: driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast

Off season? Both the 25th of April and the 1st of May are national holidays here in Italy.

Look at the calendar, I'm afraid that many Italians will take some days off and AC will be packed for almost two weeks.

> and I was almost having a heart attack!

Why?

Edited: 6:20 am, April 16, 2013
Reply to: driving from Rome to the Amalfi Coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted