We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Amalfi itinerary & Pompeii

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Canada
reviews: 1
Help with Amalfi itinerary & Pompeii

In the midst of planning a family trip (2 adults and 2 teenage daughters ages 15 & 17) to Italy in June/July. So far the Amalfi /Capri part looks like this:

June 22 Sat - Venice arrive airport mid afternoon

June 23 Sun - Venice

June 24 Mon - Venice

June 25 Tues - early train to Florence (arrive lunch time)

June 26 Wed - Florence

June 27 Thur - early train to Naples (arrive noon?) transport to Positano (explore)

June 28 Fri - Positano (Beach, relax)

June 29 Sat - Positano (Amalfi coast tour – take ferry to Amalfi, bus Ravello)

June 30 Sun - Positano (rent private boat for day)

July 1 Mon - Positano (open – tour?, more beach, relax?)

July 2 Tues - Positano (open – rent car? Sorrento, Ischia/Procidia?)

July 3 Wed - ferry to Capri early (boat tour around island)

July 4 Thur - Capri (Beach club/swim, Anacapri explore)

July 5 Fri - Capri (boat rental, explore)

July 6 Sat - early ferry to Naples, train to Rome (arrive lunch time)

July 7 Sun - Rome

July 8 Mon - Rome

July 9 Tues - Flight home early

I would really appreciate some help with a few questions and some input into this itinerary.

We want to visit Pompeii but I am struggling to decide which is the best day to do this. Should we go after arrive in Naples from Florence enroute to Positano or go directly from Positano one day?

We would really like a great guide to make the most out of our visit - any recommendations to keep the teenagers engaged?

We have 6 nights in Positano. I have debated whether to have a couple of nights in Sorrento at the beginning so tours to Pompeii etc… might be easier but opted for ease of staying in one spot.

We have a couple of free days in Positano to fill. Any suggestions? maybe Pompeii if we don’t do it earlier or another relax day at beach/lunch or rent a car and explore?

Amalfi coast boat tour companies – suggestions?

Is Vietri sul Mare worth a visit? Mozzarella or Olive Oil factory tours?

I would love to see Procidia. Is this possible with this itinerary?

Lastly, on Wednesday July 3rd, I would like to get to Capri on the earliest ferry from Positano. I have tried to find schedules and best I could come up with is 10:00 is likely the earliest? Anything earlier and do I need to book this as soon as we arrive in Positano?

Thanks for the help!

Scottsdale, AZ
11. Re: Help with Amalfi itinerary & Pompeii

Hi, I have a bit of insight for you...I have traveled extensively countless times through Italy ( studied there too) So here is my input. I too am taking my 3 teenagers there for the summer ( for their first time!) One way I would modify your itinerary is: spend only 2 days in Venice and add a day in Florence. Or loose a day in Positano and add it to Florence. Florence is amazing ! the shopping at the markets your girls will love, and seeing the David is special, so is climbing up Giotto's tower, and hanging out in piazza Signoria. I'm guessing you don't want to do too many museums, but many believe Florence is the cultural capital of Europe, so maybe you could take them to see Boticelli's birth of venus at the uffizzi, and go to Santa Croce.

On another subject..WHen I was in Italy last summer, they had gluten free options labeled at the hotel I stayed at - I thought that may encourage you. WHile nothing is prettier than Positano..Sorrento is more hopping and fun - especially in the night time - your daughters many enjoy that.

Isola d'Ischia...
reviews: 2
12. Re: Help with Amalfi itinerary & Pompeii

Hi again!

We've been taking that train once or twice a year since 2000 or 2001, and haven't had any difficulties in just turning up and buying tickets - while I guess they may sell out sometimes, we've yet to experience it...

This, for weekdays currently, may give an idea of quite how many there are?

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/149581518

But if you did change your mind, there are several Trenitalia agents here from whom you could purchase them - this is the Ischia list, plus in Casamicciola, Forio and elsewhere on the island:

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

As against which, there's more chance of getting discounted tickets if buying beforehand, and any saving off the full price of 4 seats ( at €43 on the FrecciaRossa, about half that on the IC trains ) might be put to some other use?

For details, and the T&Cs, try:

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Similar deals from Trenitalia's new rival, Italo Treno - who use the same station in Naples but go only to Roma Tiburtina...

www.italotreno.it/EN/Pages/default.aspx

Jump in when they're €9 or €19 and that's most of a set of RomaPasses paid for?

Peter

england
reviews: 11
13. Re: Help with Amalfi itinerary & Pompeii

When we were in Naples last week I saw at least 2 gluten free pizza restaurants ( by this I presumed they could make a gluten free base if required). Don't ask me where they were I saw them when generally walking about so no doubt there are more.

Victoria, Canada
14. Re: Help with Amalfi itinerary & Pompeii

Great news about gluten free pizza options and seeing other things on menus. Even as a teenager, she still hasn't grown to love salads!

Naples train - good point about the cheap fare vs flexibility. If I am so lucky to find such a discounted fare I will likely book it and then not stress if we decide to leave at a different time.

TAS - thank you for your suggestion about Florence and feedback on teenager likes/dislikes. I have been debating Florence quite a bit. The original plan had us going by train straight from Venice to Naples. The direct train to Florence however looked so easy that I thought it would be a crime not to stop for a few nights and get at least a little taste of this gorgeous city.

I have booked Doges Palace Secret Itinerary tour for Venice and will visit the Basillica for sure.

For Florence I have already booked the Uffizi for the morning after our arrival. I really want to do the Terraces of Cathedral Tour but the website says the service is temporarily suspended. What are your thoughts on climbing the Campanile vs climbing the Duomo?

I have booked a tour of Pompeii after our arrival by train in Naples. We will then head to Positano after this. Arrive Positano around dinner time. Thanks to everyone here for suggestions on when to do this. I agree this is the most logical time rather than backtracking.

For Rome - have booked Colosseum underground tour/Forum etc.. for day after arrival and want to see St. Paul's and Sistine the next day. I am not sure about a Vatican museums visit but realize the only way to see the Sistine chapel is through them. So, still haven't booked anything here...

After Rome - we are heading to London for a week and will be sightseeing.

Anyhow, in between all of this we really want some relax downtime with not so many organized events. As a matter of fact, large cities exhaust me so I am very careful to not overdo it. We recharge ourselves by the sea in small villages. Happiest swimming in the sea, eating wonderful food, sipping coffee, reading books, exploring, take photographs, catching our breath. Ah, il dolce far nienti! So the Positano and Capri portion is meant to do just that. I would like to have a visit to Ischia/Procidia and am seeing if this is doable.

Isola d'Ischia...
reviews: 2
15. Re: Help with Amalfi itinerary & Pompeii

At the risk of starting to sound like a promo for Italo Treno, if their prices for Florence are about the same as Trenitalia, they've also this nice little offer....

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k637…

Do let me know if you're in need of help with the Ischia/Procida outing!

Peter

Providence, RI
reviews: 5
16. Re: Help with Amalfi itinerary & Pompeii

Can I ask which guide you booked for Pompeii? We will be traveling with our (almost) 10 year old son, and plan to spend a few hours on our way from Positano to Naples train station

england
reviews: 11
17. Re: Help with Amalfi itinerary & Pompeii

We used the audio guides. Our 10 year old loved using one. Probably not as personal and informative as a person but it was cheap and enabled us to work at our 10 year olds pace

18. Re: Help with Amalfi itinerary & Pompeii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 12, 2014