We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Amalfi itinerary & Pompeii

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Canada
reviews: 1
Help with Amalfi itinerary & Pompeii

In the midst of planning a family trip (2 adults and 2 teenage daughters ages 15 & 17) to Italy in June/July. So far the Amalfi /Capri part looks like this:

June 22 Sat - Venice arrive airport mid afternoon

June 23 Sun - Venice

June 24 Mon - Venice

June 25 Tues - early train to Florence (arrive lunch time)

June 26 Wed - Florence

June 27 Thur - early train to Naples (arrive noon?) transport to Positano (explore)

June 28 Fri - Positano (Beach, relax)

June 29 Sat - Positano (Amalfi coast tour – take ferry to Amalfi, bus Ravello)

June 30 Sun - Positano (rent private boat for day)

July 1 Mon - Positano (open – tour?, more beach, relax?)

July 2 Tues - Positano (open – rent car? Sorrento, Ischia/Procidia?)

July 3 Wed - ferry to Capri early (boat tour around island)

July 4 Thur - Capri (Beach club/swim, Anacapri explore)

July 5 Fri - Capri (boat rental, explore)

July 6 Sat - early ferry to Naples, train to Rome (arrive lunch time)

July 7 Sun - Rome

July 8 Mon - Rome

July 9 Tues - Flight home early

I would really appreciate some help with a few questions and some input into this itinerary.

We want to visit Pompeii but I am struggling to decide which is the best day to do this. Should we go after arrive in Naples from Florence enroute to Positano or go directly from Positano one day?

We would really like a great guide to make the most out of our visit - any recommendations to keep the teenagers engaged?

We have 6 nights in Positano. I have debated whether to have a couple of nights in Sorrento at the beginning so tours to Pompeii etc… might be easier but opted for ease of staying in one spot.

We have a couple of free days in Positano to fill. Any suggestions? maybe Pompeii if we don’t do it earlier or another relax day at beach/lunch or rent a car and explore?

Amalfi coast boat tour companies – suggestions?

Is Vietri sul Mare worth a visit? Mozzarella or Olive Oil factory tours?

I would love to see Procidia. Is this possible with this itinerary?

Lastly, on Wednesday July 3rd, I would like to get to Capri on the earliest ferry from Positano. I have tried to find schedules and best I could come up with is 10:00 is likely the earliest? Anything earlier and do I need to book this as soon as we arrive in Positano?

Thanks for the help!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
reviews: 125
1. Re: Help with Amalfi itinerary & Pompeii

Lovely amount of time in Positano - but you are in Campania! The jewel of Italy (IMHO of course!). You could take a day out and go to Naples - do not neglect this culturally magnificent, coffee lovers' heaven, best pizza in the world city.

I have teenagers and I plan to take them there in October to immerse in the culture and the beauty two examples - the National Museum of Archaeology where every treasure from Pompeii and Herculaenum is located and the Lungomare bayfront strip which winds past Castel Dell'Ovo (a twelfth century castle where the last Roman Emperor was interred) and past scenery that looks like the French Riviera.

Then there is the pizza - best EVER in the world, the gelato and the coffee - and the Historic Centre which is just like every stereotype you've ever seen of Naples - only it's not a stereotype. There ARE narrow streets and washing strung between buildings. It is simply unmissable.

Brentwood, United...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Help with Amalfi itinerary & Pompeii

If you want to visit Pompeii suggest two nights in Sorrento from Naples, first day Pompeii and possibily Naples , second day ferry to Capri for a couple of nights and then the ferry to Positano. You do not really have time to visit Procidia with this intinerary unless you swap your two days in Sorrento for three in Naples.

Victoria, Canada
3. Re: Help with Amalfi itinerary & Pompeii

KathyW - thank you for your suggestions! I will do a more research into the Museum given we will be in Naples and the Lungomare bayfront strip - this sounds wonderful visually and culturally.

I neglected to mention that my husband and daughter are both celiac so unfortunately we will have to avoid pizza. I will have to compensate with lots of gelato! I am hoping for gluten free food, there will be many choices of vegetables, meat, cheeses rather than pasta/wheat on the menus.

Love2roam_uk - good idea on staying in Sorrento. My concern is that we are adding another stay and hotel which means another transportation day. Is Procidia worth a day visit? It looks so visually appealing to me. I have tried to see if we could take early ferry from Positano to Sorrento one day and then the ferry from Sorrento to Ischia but it didn't look doable given how early the Sorrento to Ischia ferry left. Maybe an early bus/taxi to Sorrento for the 9 a.m.ish ferry and then spend a day Ischia/Procidia....

Any suggestions on private guides for Pompeii or could we just use ones that are at the site?

Brentwood, United...
4. Re: Help with Amalfi itinerary & Pompeii

The only ferry to Procidia runs between Naples and Ischia. It would not be practical to visit Procidea if you are staying in Sorrento or on Capri. If you now want to visit Ischia the place to stay is again Sorrento , I think your teenage daughters, if they are like mine was, may appreciate the younger night life in Sorrento than that likely in Capri or Positano, not disputing the charm of these places.

In regard to guides at Pompeii you can join an official English speaking guide at the entrance to the site.

Isola d'Ischia...
5. Re: Help with Amalfi itinerary & Pompeii

Not sure how you'd fit it into your plans, but last year these people ran a daily boat FROM Procida to Capri in the mornings, that returned in the PM...

PROCIDA - CAPRI 09.50

CAPRI - PROCIDA 17.50

http://www.ippocampo.biz/

Or simply come here instead of Sorrento - and make a day to Procida?

From around the region:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/tele

Peter

Victoria, Canada
6. Re: Help with Amalfi itinerary & Pompeii

Thanks Peter. Do you know if there is a Capri to Ischia ferry? Perhaps could shift somethings - shorten Positano, keep Capri same, add in 2 nights Ischia from Capri. Then Ischia to Naples last day to Rome.

Isola d'Ischia...
7. Re: Help with Amalfi itinerary & Pompeii

Hi there! The two most convenient services are likely to be these...

- to come over in the morning, from roughly mid-June to mid-September in recent years, the Alicost line has offered a boat service that has set off from Salerno, and gone Amalfi, Positano, Capri (9.45) and on to Ischia.. taking some 70 minutes for that last part of the route.... (it then returns back from here at 16:20)....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/145497402

- or, in the afternoon, you could use the "return leg" of the daily Alilauro hydrofoil (faster, perhaps 45 mins) which does a round trip from here - with times much as shown on...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/131364851

(But no precise details for 2013 for either of those yet!)

Peter

Victoria, Canada
8. Re: Help with Amalfi itinerary & Pompeii

Does Alicost normally offer this boat service (Capri to Ischia 9:45 a.m.) and do you have an idea when the ferry schedule is finalized for July?

If the Capri to Ischia ferry is running, this could work well. We could go to Ischia for one or two nights, visit Procidia, and then take ferry to Naples/Rome on last day.

If you only had a couple of nights, what location would you recommend we stay - we like to be near restaurants, cafes, seaside, walking (have 2 teenagers with us).

Does the ferry to Procidia leave from the same port that the Alicost (Capri to Ischia) ferry arrives at?

Thanks Peter!

Isola d'Ischia...
9. Re: Help with Amalfi itinerary & Pompeii

I first noticed that service in 2008 and usually the schedule (which remains more or less fixed for its 3 month course) has only appeared a day or so before they start - around June 14th in recent years!

Mostly they use open-top fast boats - their "Raid" for instance, with 240 seats inside, 115 upstairs...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/125608920

... but last year, although I missed the first few days, seem to begun with their hydrofoil...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/149562753

Seems they're a bit slow with filling in the schedules this year, as some services have already started:

http://www.alicost.it/content/?id=6

On the AC, their ticket sales are handled by GESCAB - who have them amongst those on their Golfo di Salerno page..

http://www.gescab.it/linee/default.asp?idmg=2

(use the "Biglietterie" link for addresses etc)

Here we've always preferred the Ischia Ponte district - where the Castello Aragonese is, with some nice stretches of beach to hand - some 10/15 minutes by bus from the harbour at Porto. For a look at the two areas, try:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/ischcom

And, whilst remembering that the island's only 7 miles or so from one side to the other, try this for a wider look at what's where, etc etc:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/beginisc

Rather than repeat it all, perhaps I can direct you to this concurrent thread, and those it has links to, for a few accommodation possibilities....

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187779-i161-k62…

(with the Aragona Palace being handily on the waterside at Porto, though a fair walk to the beach!)

For Procida, the majority of departures leave from Ischia Porto, with a few operating out of nearby Casamicciola. I'd suggest taking this (on which Aliscafo = hydrofoil, Nave = ferry ship) as being only indicative, rather than precise....

www.procida.biz/Orari/ischiaprocida.asp

In addition, there are the services offered by the same Ippocampo line who go between Procida and Capri.

They've a boat much like the Alicost "Raid", on which a visiting TA member and I went for a very pleasant trip to Procida last September...

http://www.ippocampo.biz/

... but as yet their website appears to still be showing 2012 details, thus:

PROCIDA - ISCHIA PORTO 08.40* - 11.00 - 13.30 - 17.00** - 18.15

ISCHIA PORTO - PROCIDA 09.25 - 11.40 - 14.30 - 17.25** - 18.55

Hope you're OK so far? It's all much easier once actually here!

Peter

Victoria, Canada
10. Re: Help with Amalfi itinerary & Pompeii

Thanks very much! To get to Rome, we would then take the ferry from Ischia to Naples on Saturday July 6. Do you think I need to prebook 4 tickets for the Naples to Rome train? There seem to be a lot of them all day and I would prefer the flexibility but also don't want to have to wait too long for the next train to seat 4 people.