We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Part Southern Italy Questions: Amalfi Coast/Sardinia

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
reviews: 6
2 Part Southern Italy Questions: Amalfi Coast/Sardinia

Hello fellow travelers and DESTINATION EXPERTS!!

I will be traveling to Italy September 5-17 with 2 other girlfriends. The plan is to fly to Rome, take a train to Salerno and "do" the Amalfi Coast. From Positano, I need to find a way to get us to Sardina for the latter part of our trip. Below is the tentative itinerary for the Amalfi Coast I put together but as I write it again, I realize this is just OUT OF CONTROL and rather ridiculous expectations. Just too much, right?? In your expert opinions,which town(s) would you suggest we omit??

9/7: 2pm train to Salerno. Stay the night.

9/8: Spend the day in Salerno -- or is it worth spending a day in Salerno??

9/9: Hire a driver for the day (approximately 12 hours) and start early. All times are ballpark figures:

* Leave Salerno at 7:30am.

* From there, hit up Maiori for 2 hours

* Spend 4 hours in Ravello (incl lunch)

* Spend 2 hours in Amalfi

* Spend 2 hours in Praiano

* Ending the evening around 7:00pm or so in Positano. Staying the night.

9/10: Spend day in Positano, staying the night.

On google maps, the drive from Salerno to Positano is roughly an hour and 44 minutes. That in mind, I'm assuming I'm trying to stick too much into a day of small town sightseeing, right? The obvious tells me to just stick to Ravello, Amalfi and Positano but would we be missing better gems like Maiori or Praiano??? I'm going off the top 6 places to visit on the Amalfi Coast on TA...

2nd question - does anyone have any good recommendations on driving companies? And approximately how much they charge per hour or for the day? My mother hired a driver in 2010 and it was approximately 200 euros for 8 hours plus gratuity. But that was roundtrip from Sorrento to ?? (not sure where they turned around). This will just be a one way trip from Salerno to Positano. AND an additional 4 hours. I don't want to feel rushed so if we happen to spend 3 hours in Amalfi, then we can always just skip Praiano and go straight to Positano. We will want to have the flexibility to do that.

3rd question - what is the best way to get from Positano to Sardinia? We would prefer to fly/ferry into the Olbia area. Any travel company websites you can direct me to?

I appreciate any feedback. And I realize the itinerary is pretty insane...but will there be someone who thinks that crazy itinerary is plausible??

Thanks all.

Jamie

Brussels, Belgium
reviews: 3
11. Re: 2 Part Southern Italy Questions: Amalfi Coast/Sardinia

Speaking as a non-driver, it is unfortunately the case that a car can be rather necessary in Sardinia, and this is a shame not only because of the way people drive, but also because the roads/terrain can be difficult.

Although ARST buses cover the whole of the island, don't forget it is pretty sparsely populated, and not very rich, so smaller places are not served very well. There are, however, buses from Olbia to Tortoli, which is not far from Baunei : see …sardegna.it/public/allegati/299_ORARITORTOL… and for general information on transport, http://www.gosardinia.com/transport.htm

Isola d'Ischia...
reviews: 2
12. Re: 2 Part Southern Italy Questions: Amalfi Coast/Sardinia

Might I suggest NOT trusting your lives to any driver prepared to work a 12 hour day - as well as driving to you, and then home again?

To answer a half-asked question from earlier in the thread, last year at least there was no sea service that ran all the way between Salerno and Sorrento - the best you could do is change at either Amalfi or Positano!

If you'd like somewhere slightly less "city" to stay, right next door to Salerno - and an easy bus ride back if wanting to catch a boat from there - Vietri sul Mare might be of interest?

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/vietri

But don't skip the opportunity to have a good look at Salerno!

Peter

Naples, Italy
reviews: 27
13. Re: 2 Part Southern Italy Questions: Amalfi Coast/Sardinia

Check punta aldia. Porto taverna. Lu impostu and la cinta. Same area of coda cavallo but with nice sand. Coda cavallo is beautiful landscape and view of tavolara. But not as nice sand. You need a car in my opinion to see beaches and reach more places. In the North check porto pollo. Nice windsurfing spot!

14. Re: 2 Part Southern Italy Questions: Amalfi Coast/Sardinia

Why don't you just book a Flight from Naples to Sardinia? Alitalia flies to all the major cities in sardinia.

We are flying from a Alghero to Naples in August.

15. Re: 2 Part Southern Italy Questions: Amalfi Coast/Sardinia

Why don't you just fly from Naples to Sardinia? Alitalia flies to all the major cities.

Edited: 7:51 pm, April 07, 2013
Charlotte, North...
reviews: 6
16. Re: 2 Part Southern Italy Questions: Amalfi Coast/Sardinia

Again, you guys are awesome w/ all your suggestions. Sounds like the best option to getting around Sardinia is by a rented car. I'm scurrrred! LOL.

The last stop we'll be making on the Amalfi Coast is Positano - not sure where peeps got the idea I was going to Sorrento... unless I have to as a way to get to Naples to take a flight to Sardinia??

I presume a flight from Naples would be the easiest instead of finding a way to Rome from Positano to catch a ferry, no?

Planning this is TOUGH STUFF!!

Winchester...
reviews: 65
17. Re: 2 Part Southern Italy Questions: Amalfi Coast/Sardinia

Funny thread! I don't know how I got the idea you were going to Sorrento. Maybe because I didn't really read your original post carefully. :-)

Okay, going to Salerno to get to Positano could make sense. Taking the boat would be my preferred method of travel. (sorry for the confusion, I have no idea why I thought you were going to Salerno to get to Sorrento).

18. Re: 2 Part Southern Italy Questions: Amalfi Coast/Sardinia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 11, 2014