We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days on Amalfi Coast in September

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh
6 days on Amalfi Coast in September

Hi, I fly into Naples on 21st September, have 6 days to spend in the area and am getting myself more and more confused as to best place/s to stay & see. I'm not planning on hiring a car, but have no problems catching buses, (prefer boats, unless you get a better view by bus). Must sees are Capri, Positano, Ravello, and some of the other beautiful places around the coast - want to have a wander round them and take in the beautiful scenery, as well as enjoy sitting in sun and swimming. I'm not a big fan of loads of tourists (difficult to avoid in this area, I know) but I have to balance this with the fact I'm travelling on my own, so it might not be great to be staying somewhere completely out of the way (unless there are transport and/or restaurant options?). Initially thought of Sorrento, and going everywhere from there as day trips, but I'm not interested in visiting Pompeii and I'd I'd prefer to have a view of the Amalfi coast. Thought of Praiano, as the views look stunning, but worried it might not be ideal for a single person to get around and find places to eat. I don't mind spending some time at the hotel but I also want to get out and about. Finally, thought of splitting my time between the 2, but I'm worried about getting on the buses with my luggage. Don't suppose I can have everything I want - just can't figure out what's best? Any help would be gratefully received.

South Australia
reviews: 12
1. Re: 6 days on Amalfi Coast in September

Bus transfer Naples airport to Sorrento www.curreriviaggi.it

Bus will be outside the arrivals terminal and pay the driver 10 euro.

Amalfi coast bus Sorrento to Amalfi, Amalfi to Ravello and Amalfi to Salerno

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5070.pdf

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5110.pdf

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5120.pdf

Luggage is placed in the luggage hold under the bus

As to Ferry services for the time you are visiting, best to check locally

www.capri.net

Edited: 7:39 am, June 20, 2012
New York City, New...
reviews: 10
2. Re: 6 days on Amalfi Coast in September

All the villages are beautiful and each have their own appeal. Personally, I always stay in Positano - most times solo - for up to a week and love it. That time of September is when I always used to go; now I go in the off seasons but September is still high season, so it will still be busy wherever you choose to stay.

Amalfi is the transportation hub of the AC - and the ferries and buses arrive and depart right by the harbor (one reason I don't care for the village). You can easily reach Ravello by getting a bus from there.

You can take ferries from Amalfi or Positano to Capri and also from Positano to Amalfi, etc. It is a less crowded way to travel than the bus.

No need to worry about your luggage on the buses - most everyone else will have luggage as well - they are equipped to deal with it.

Ravello is the one village high above the coast road so you would need to take a bus down to reach the beach/sea; it is smaller than Positano and Amalfi - and, it has glorious views.

I suggest you look at photos - online there are many - read a bit more on each and see which village looks the most interesting to you personally. Everyone has their own preference.

I suggest booking soon as many places will have been booked up for months by now. You can check www.venere.com for where to stay; you can sort there by budget, location, etc.

Here's a daily photo blog by someone who lives in Positano:

http://positanodailyphoto.blogspot.com/

And a blog by someone who lives in Amalfi:

http://www.ciaoamalfi.com/

I can't speak to Praiano - I have been there but not stayed there. Many people love it and prefer it - I find it too small for me especially as I stay for at least a week - I like the larger village. Positano does get crazy busy down by the main beach but a beautiful 10 minute walk away from the main beach, there is a lovely, much less crowded smaller beach, Il Fornillo and there are many other parts of the village that aren't overflowing with people - you just need to explore.

There are many threads for each village here on TA - you might want to go through some of those to get more ideas from lots of people who have visited the area and stayed in the different villages.

Great time of year to be going - and, whatever your choice, they are all so beautiful that you can't make a bad choice.

New York
reviews: 28
3. Re: 6 days on Amalfi Coast in September

I just returned from that area 2 weeks ago travelling alone which I love to do. From what you wrote and after all my research about Positano versus Priaino I recommend Positano, Iif you want to stay in 2 places I recommend Positano and Capri.

I had stayed in Sorrento several times and only day tripped to those places which was not at all the same as staying in them. This trip I spent 3 nights Capri, 5 nights Sorrento, and 4 nights Positano. After staying in Positano I wished I spent less nights in Sorrento. Even Capri I could have stayed more as it's so beautiful and so many places to explore.

In Capri a stayed in Hotel La Tosca which was very simple and budget friendly. It was perfect for me and I highly recommend it as an option in Capri. In my research I also discovered The Hotel Minerva which has all the additional amenites (pool, large breakfast) has a budget friendly single room. It doesn't have a view or balcony where as the single room I chose in Hotel la Tosca had a small balcony with a nice view.

I splurged in Positano on the Hotel Marincanto however there are many places that will be less money and perfect for a solo traveler.

In my opinion MomCat makes some of the best recommendations and she helped me a lot in how I decided to arrange my trip.

Thanks MC!!

Edinburgh
4. Re: 6 days on Amalfi Coast in September

Thanks for the info. After what I've read, I think it would be a shame not to stay on AC, just to save myself a bit of extra travel. As I've just realised my flight out of Naples is at 10.30 am, I've decided to head straight to AC when I first arrive and then finish off with 1 day in Sorrento at the end, or 2 if I decide to go to Capri from there, instead of Positano. Now I just need to find accommodation and some nice restaurant suggestions, which will be good for someone on their own - wish me luck!

Edinburgh
5. Re: 6 days on Amalfi Coast in September

Oh, one other thing, I've checked the timetable for the bus from Sorrento to Naples Airport and I see there is one that leaves at 6.30am, which should be enough time to get my flight at 10.30am. I also see you can't book in advance and that it's first come, first served. What do you think are the chances of the 6.30am bus on Thursday 27th September being full? If I can't get on it, the next one will not get me to the airport in time for my flight and I don't fancy having to shell out around 100 euros for a taxi.

New York
reviews: 28
6. Re: 6 days on Amalfi Coast in September

I have no experience with the bus to the airport, but I've never read about someone not getting on it because it was full, You might want to post that as a separate question on TA so people with experience can comment.

Don't worry about travelling alone. I think it can be so much better because you tend to chit chat with people from all over the world and it makes for such an interesting trip. I stopped inviting people to travel with me years ago.

Oh and btw..All hotels and restaurants are just as good for someone travelling on their own as opposed to someone who is not! Go wherever you want and enjoy!

Niles, Ohio
reviews: 108
7. Re: 6 days on Amalfi Coast in September

Hi there - we also are looking at a possible visit to the Amalfi coast in September. Are we going to have trouble if we can't speak Italian? We've been to Rome and Sicily and didn't have much trouble at all but wondered about this region. Thanks for any help you can offer.

New York City, New...
reviews: 10
8. Re: 6 days on Amalfi Coast in September

You are welcome Miriam!

No ds521, you will have no problems not speaking Italian. It is a supremely popular destination and nearly everyone (if not all) in the hospitality business and/or restaurants will speak some English, some very well.

It will not be a hinderance whatsoever. But, as always, it is nice to make the effort to learn the basics in Italian - hello, goodbye, thank you, etc as it is much appreciated vs walking in and just immediately addressing everyone in English - I never assume anyone speaks English. I always greet them in Italian and will ask if they speak English though nearly every time, they will respond immediately in English.

Niles, Ohio
reviews: 108
9. Re: 6 days on Amalfi Coast in September

Thats great! Thanks so much for the fast response ;-)

10. Re: 6 days on Amalfi Coast in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, June 25, 2013