We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good beaches and sightseeing on the Amalfi Coast

Which Amalfi Coast hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Good beaches and sightseeing on the Amalfi Coast

I am going to the Amalfi Coast for 10 days (staying in an agriturismo near Piano di Sorrento) with my 12 year old daughter in a couple of weeks and would really appreciate some advice on:

1. Should I rent a scooter to travel around the coast or use public transport? We are planning to visit a different place every day (Positano, Ravello, Amalfi,Furore, Sorrento, Praiano etc)?

2. What is the best and cheapest way to get to Capri from Sorrento and should I hire a scooter there or would we be able to walk all of it easily for one day? I would like to visit The Blue Grotto too, how do I go about this, should I book it from Sorrento or when we get to Capri?

3. Where are the best beaches (sandy and not too crowded) along the coast?

Is there anything you would recommend as unmissable to do with a teenager there?

Many thanks in advance for answering my multiple questions :)

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
reviews: 1
1. Re: Good beaches and sightseeing on the Amalfi Coast

No way should you rent a scooter. Especially with a 12 year old daughter on it. The most difficult thing about the Amalfi coast is getting from point A to B and back. I would use the buses if cost is an issue. Take the ferry to Capri. You need to see the blue grotto from a boat. There are many tours on Capri that will take you there. IMO it is not worth the money or the effort.

B.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
2. Re: Good beaches and sightseeing on the Amalfi Coast

Read up on the Blue Grotto to decide it is something you want to see - you would reach it via bus from Anacapri, from which you then go to the steps to wait your turn to get into one of the tiny boats to go inside the grotto; or, you can join a boat tour when you get off the ferry that will then take you to the grotto to wait, again, your turn to get into one of the tiny boats.

The ferry is the way to get from Sorrento and, if you are going in high season, the ferries along the Amalfi Coast are the most comfortable way to travel between villages - see: http://www.coopsantandrea.com

for ferry schedules. The buses are usually packed to the point of having to stand. I suggest you go to the Amalfi Coast first before deciding whether you think you can drive it on a scooter - it is a very winding road crammed with huge tour buses and other traffic.

There are no sandy beaches on the AC - they are composed of tiny pebbles; sandy beaches can be found on the island of Ischia, which you can reach from Sorrento.

www.capri.net for info about the island and transportation between there and Sorrento - no need to rent anything there, just use your feet or the buses. Most of the island is pedestrian only anyway.

Wicklow, Ireland
reviews: 106
3. Re: Good beaches and sightseeing on the Amalfi Coast

Agree with MomCat, the best way to get around is public transport. The drivers are all mad so would not recommend using a scooter. We used the public bus to Amalfi and were lucky on the day as we had great seats, make sure to sit on the opposite side to the driver for the best views. The trains can be a bit hit and miss as they tend to go on strike whenever they want. I thought the Blue Grotto was fun and it was included in our tour of Capri which we booked and paid for on the ferry over to the island. Be sure and haggle with the guide to get the best price. There are no sandy beaches but the water is amazing, just bring flip flops.

Dont know about things to do with teenagers sorry.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
4. Re: Good beaches and sightseeing on the Amalfi Coast

Please Gabrielle, please stop repeating incorrect information about train strikes in Italy. They absolutely do not go on strike without notice, usually such notice is weeks in advance but it does not just happen out of the blue, unexpectedly.

Repeating such incorrect information is bound to cause concern and confusion.

London, United...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Good beaches and sightseeing on the Amalfi Coast

Thank you very much for all the prompt info guys. It is most helpful. I shall check all the websites you recommended and will scrap the scooter as per your advice.

Thanks again :) I am very much looking forward to my trip.

6. Re: Good beaches and sightseeing on the Amalfi Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 01, 2014