We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel from Rome to Calabria and in between

Which Reggio Calabria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 70
Train travel from Rome to Calabria and in between

early January, what options are there for trains from Rome to Salerno [none to Sorrento that I could see] and then on down to Calabria, to the Cosenza area. Actually want to go over to the instep area [Crotone?] but I gather that's a different train all together. Also how much time for the train should we allow? We can rent a car in Cosenza and drive to Crotone, i suppose. And then, how much time to allow to train back to Rome [or is all the train travel nuts and we should fly anyway??] We have a moderate expense account, nothing fancy or too expensive but really the timing and hassle are the main issues.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
reviews: 23
1. Re: Train travel from Rome to Calabria and in between

You can look up schedules and fares:

www.trenitalia.com

From Naples to Sorrento, you must take the Circumvesuviana rail:

www.eavcampania.it

eavcampania.it/web/…20viceversa.pdf

Edited: 2:24 pm, December 12, 2013
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava
2. Re: Train travel from Rome to Calabria and in between

From Rome to Salerno you can use high speed trains. In addition to Trenitalia, there's Italo too www.italotreno.it/EN/Pages/default.aspx

Cosenza is easier to reach than Crotone, which from Rome or Salerno is an unpleasant nine hour trip with two changes.

Florence, Italy
reviews: 398
3. Re: Train travel from Rome to Calabria and in between

I also recommend to hire a car in Cosenza rather than in Crotone.

The journey Salerno-Cosenza can be accomplished by "Intercity" or "Frecciargento" trains, with a train change at "Paola" station (in this case there's advantage in buying your ticket in advance for the leg Salerno-Paola, to profit discounted fares) or with some slower but cheaper trains "Interregionale" without any change (no advantage in buying ticket in advance; just buy it in Salerno, validate it at the machines on the platform and jump on the train; no reserved seats).

The Cosenza station is quite far from the city center, but it's possible to hire a car at the station itself; see for example:

http://www.maggiore.it/

Brun066

Edited: 5:32 pm, December 14, 2013
San Franicsco
reviews: 11
4. Re: Train travel from Rome to Calabria and in between

just wanted to know how long it takes to travel to Reggio de Calabria from Rome

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
5. Re: Train travel from Rome to Calabria and in between

See the link in the second line of reply #1. You can look it up just as easily as I can.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava
6. Re: Train travel from Rome to Calabria and in between

Talia,

it depends on the train, but between 5 an 7 hours.

7. Re: Train travel from Rome to Calabria and in between

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 18, 2014