We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abruzzo in late March?

New York
reviews: 8
Abruzzo in late March?

We are planning a trip to Italy in late March. Hoping to visit a few towns in Abruzzo (e.g., Assergi, Santo Stefano di Sessanio, etc.) as well as some hill towns a bit further north, like Gubbio. However I am a bit leery of what the weather and road conditions might be like then. Is hiking on Gran Sasso pretty much out of the question at this time of year? Would i need chains on my tires and if so do rental car companies provide them?

Our alternative is to focus on points further south, and simply save Abruzzo for a late summer or early fall visit in another year.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Lanciano, Italy
reviews: 2
1. Re: Abruzzo in late March?

Hello! The weather conditions in Abruzzo can be quite changeable in March. You can have spring-like weather in late March, while it is usually a bit cold in the first half of March. You'll probably find some snow if you go hiking on the Gran Sasso (it depends on which path you take) but I think it can be a nice moment of the year to do that, with very clear, blue sky and no tourists around. I would recommend that. Usually the suggested period for hiking on Gran Sasso goes from March to November. Santo Stefano di Sessanio and the surrounding area are stunning, definitely worth a visit. Rental companies usually provide chains when required, it shouldn't be a problem.

New York
reviews: 8
2. Re: Abruzzo in late March?

thanks Mirella!

3. Re: Abruzzo in late March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 11, 2014