We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family trip sept 5-14 italy?

Which Italy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 2
family trip sept 5-14 italy?

there are 6 of us aged 68-21 traveling from NYC area to Italy. Help! i always thought my family should visit Italy for the art and food and people and was thinking a few days in Florence with side trips if needed and the Almalfi coast BUT i now realize we are a large family and car rental on the coastal roads maybe not. Some youngins want to go to Sardinio? but we have really only 9 days . any suggestions to an itinerary. we are not athletic but love walking ,food , art, water ( sea-ocean) and would love a combo of one of the art cities and a coastal town.. atmosphere and culture ..we are city dwellers so city part time is fine but also country or coastal for change ,,,as far as sleeping we were hoping a rental apt/home or non hotel for all of us . we need 4 separate sleeping quarters

thank you

Milano
reviews: 280
1. Re: family trip sept 5-14 italy?

In 9 days Florence-Rome-Amalfi is more then einough.

You may use trains that are good and fast, a car would be not really a good idea as all the places are not the best for parking and driving (narrow streets in the center typical of ancient town).

Sardinia is nice for the sea but it takes time to go there and the best places are not close to public transports.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
2. Re: family trip sept 5-14 italy?

In just 9 days, I'd choose only two - if you chose to stay in Rome, you could do a day trip to Florence which is, of course, not enough time to see all there is to see but you really don't have much time. Florence is just 1.5 hours from Rome via fast train and if you leave early a.m., you could have a full day there and this way you wouldn't have to move hotels - which always takes a lot more time than you think it will.

Then you could have 4 days in Rome - again, not nearly enough to see it all but enough to give you a great flavor of the city, see the most popular sites and, hopefully, some of the amazing sites that are off the usual tourist trail, relax and enjoy wandering the city and exploring the many museum options, if you want.

Then, 3 days on the AC - or, since you are in NYC, you may want 3 days in Rome and 4 on the AC. Don't underestimate the hassle of getting to the AC - again, takes longer than you think it will. Ideally, to me, it would be the fast train to Naples and have a car service with a large enough vehicle (they do exist) pick you up at the train station and whisk you away to the AC village you plan to stay at which will take anywhere between 1.5 to 2.5 hours (roughly).

If you are flying home from Rome, I'd stay there last - so, arrive - go to the AC then to Rome with day trip to Florence. Just a suggestion, of course. If Florence is the preferable city, then do stay there. But, count on losing half day for each move from place to place and for such a short trip, you may not want to spend that much time checking in and out of hotels and traveling.

3. Re: family trip sept 5-14 italy?

thank you ohh car service to Almalfi great idea ! yes !! and good advice yes less check in and moving more relaxing and seeking .. as we center in on where we lay our heads i hope you have more ideas on what to do.. again thank you

4. Re: family trip sept 5-14 italy?

this is great info thanks still deciding but this helps

5. Re: family trip sept 5-14 italy?

so what if we based in Florence .. are there beaches for the ones who wanted Sardinia ? and then also hiking in the 5 cities terre cingue? if one wanted Rome a few days ? i agree with so many of us a city with more than one transportation option is better .. and so many choices from Florence ( a few are against Rome... sigh ) we would hope to rent an apt and plan day trips when tempted away from Florence .. then i would be happy to have exposed them to the history -art -architecture

there is food -wine - clubs(?) maybe soccer and a car rental for a day trip or train if we want . any suggestions ? opinions ?

i agree changes places is a full two days away from vacationing with this big group

6. Re: family trip sept 5-14 italy?

thank you . i have decided to base us in Florence

any suggestions on rental agencies ? homeaway?Arbico? Arvo?

ideas on side trips not to be missed ? is the local ocean beach real touristy with cruise ships?

any local countryside fishing spots?

winery tours recommended?

soccer and opera tickets?

thank you

7. Re: family trip sept 5-14 italy?

so excited visiting florence sept5-14 . .. any suggestions about visiting for a day somewhere in Tuscany? a wine tour .. food .. small village . by bus ? train? or if affordable car /driver / or tour ? there are 6 of us the tours run from$60-$150 pp so if hiring a driver and organizing ourselves is easier . and on a separate day maybe the beach? coast .?

local florence night life ( not a club ) maybe local music . or just promenading?

thankyou

8. Re: family trip sept 5-14 italy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 24, 2014