We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Globus Italian Mosaic Tour

Which Italy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Globus Italian Mosaic Tour

I am planning to go on a Globus Italian Mosaic Tour in September 2011. Are Globus a good tour company?? Do they give a good experience?? Hotels???? Would appreciate some advice before I book.

Minden, NV
1. Re: Globus Italian Mosaic Tour

Hi, I went on this tour last September/October and absolutely loved it! This was the second Globus tour I've taken--the other one was to Russia and the Baltic states and it was also great. The tour guides on both of these trips were outstanding. We had Igor on the Italian trip (not the Russian one) -- but he was Italian (he said his mother just liked the name Igor!).

The hotels were basic but all were very extremely well located. We stayed at the one by St. Peter's in Rome (not the most central but it was nice to walk through St. Peter's Square on the way to the subway (which was a bit of a walk--probably about 15 minutes away). The one in Florence was a short walk down the river to the town; Venice was right around the corner from St. Marks Square and on a canal; Lake Maggiore was right across from the lake; Assisi was right by the basilica and had a wonderful view; and the one in Sorrento was just a couple of blocks from the main drag. The hotel dinners were all decent and the sites were all marvelous.

I would highly recommend this tour. I had a post on the Italy forum before I took my trip last year and someone just asked me about the tour a couple of days ago and I replied yesterday with an extremely long post about the trip. So if you want more details, I'm sure you can find that post. And if you can't, let me know and I'll see if I can cut and paste my reply. (I'm not that sure how to navigate around these forums.)

Taylorsville, Utah
reviews: 1
2. Re: Globus Italian Mosaic Tour

I have taken two Globus tours. They are good, but they are rushed and you will spend a lot of time on the bus. They have a number of optional excursions which, in my case, they did not tell me about in advance. They tend to be expensive and some of them can be done on your own for less. I would evalutate which ones you really want to do and skip the ones you are less enthusiastic about if money is an object. Also, you don't have a lot of free time. You can use the time that you would have spent on the tour seeing things that you would miss otherwise or shopping. I felt that the tours were sprung on me and they were not at all upfront about them either time. The hotels were good but usually not centrally located. All breakfasts were provided, some dinners, but no lunches and and about half the time you were on your own for dinner.That does give you a chance to try various specialties, but figure in the cost. The provided food was good but not great and geared to tourists taste. In other words, you won't get anything all that exotic or different. All in all,if II wanted a tour, I'd use them, but I prefer to do it on my own.

Minden, NV
3. Re: Globus Italian Mosaic Tour

Hi,

Well, you certainly got two different opinions. Although not all hotels on Globus might be centrally located, the ones on this tour are. That's why I always research the tour hotels on TripAdvisor before booking so I know whether or not they and their location look good.

Also, we got the options at the beginning of the tour - and our tour guide told us which ones HE wouldn't want to miss and the ones that were just so-so (such as the dinner in Venice). It is hard, however, to pick which ones you might want. But on this tour, if you took none, you'd still have a wonderful time as your hotels are centrally located and near restaurants and sights of the town. So, you have a choice as to what you want to do. Also, Globus lists their options on their own website, so you can get an idea before you go as to what they might be offering.

And, lastly, yes, this is a fast-paced tour--but frankly that's kind of what I like about it. All the sights were incredible and I wouldn't have wanted to miss any. I thought a full day in Venice wouldn't be enough, but we had a dinner near our hotel the first night and strolled around the town before returning to our hotel; then took the included tours of the Murana factory and the Doges palace the next morning. And although we took the option to Burano (which I ended up loving), we still had time to stroll to the bridges, shop, listen to the music in St. Marks Square, and have another nice dinner on our own.

And as to the long bus rides (which is a complaint I hear often), I enjoy them. Many of the people tend to snooze on the buses--which I don't because to me, this is an integral part of the vacation as this is how you see the scenery. You're not on freeways all the time, so you do get a flavor of the country. But before I started taking tours the last couple of years, my vacations have always involved a lot of driving because that's what I personally like to do. There are only a few places (such as London) where I like to spend at least a week at a time.

We spent two extra days in Rome and that was enough for me. The sights are not to be missed--but it wouldn't be a city I would likely return to.

Let me know if you decide to go.

Taylorsville, Utah
4. Re: Globus Italian Mosaic Tour

On the tour I went on, none of the hotels were well located at all. In fact, we didn't even stay in Venice or Florence proper and the hotels in Rome were not near much of anything including public transportation. If that is important to you, check the locations . This can be a problem if you want to explore on your own.

Melbourne
reviews: 5
5. Re: Globus Italian Mosaic Tour

My husband and I are going on this Tour in a month and would like information on which optional tours are worthwhile and which are not. We have been on Group Tours in the past and have usually felt like outcasts if we were not doing an optional tour with everyone else.

Is the trip to San Gimignano worthwhile or would you be missing something in Florence? What about the trip to Burano while in Venice? Can that be done individually or is it best to go with the group?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Taylorsville, Utah
6. Re: Globus Italian Mosaic Tour

Sorry, I opted out of the Burano tour and the Sam Gimignano tour wasn;t offered on my trip so I can't help you. I felt like I could better use the time exploring Venice on my own.I did do the dinner in Florence and enjoyed it and I wish I had taken the Tour of the Ulfizzi but with the limited time we had in Florence, I decided to see some other things,If I had chosen the Ulfizzi I wouldn't have had any free time. I would read up on the various tours and decide based on what interests you. Also check out other things you want to see that are not offered and realize that you may not have the time to do them all particulalry if you do the optionals. You have to make choices based on your interests and on how much you want to spend.

Melbourne
reviews: 5
7. Re: Globus Italian Mosaic Tour

Thank you for your reply. We have some reading and decisions to make.

Terrigal, Australia
reviews: 345
8. Re: Globus Italian Mosaic Tour

travelingkat asked

<<<<<<<<What about the trip to Burano while in Venice? Can that be done individually or is it best to go with the group?>>>>>>>>>>>

Burano is absolutely beautiful, canals, brightly painted houses, and fresh seafood at reasonable prices, easily accessible (and cheap) by vaperatto (ferry). Ideal way to spend a few hours wandering around, without being herded in a group, which IMO would spoil the experience.

Whereas, Murano is nothing but one big tourist trap. The glassware is cheaper and available in Venice/Mestro shops.

Safe Travels!

Edited: 3:47 am, July 29, 2011
9. Re: Globus Italian Mosaic Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, October 15, 2012