We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Dual voltage flat irons really work well in Italy?

Which Italy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
Do Dual voltage flat irons really work well in Italy?

It may seem silly but I need my flat iron and hair dryer when I travel. A girl needs to look great in Italy! :) I know most hotel rooms have hair dryers but I need to bring the iron. (for my hair)

I really don't know what to do about bringing a dual voltage flat iron. It seems that there are many mixed reviews and some say that even with the dual voltage the irons burn out and can do damage to one's hair. It's also hard to find just a European iron either locally or online.

Any suggestions? I don't want to buy one when I arrive there since we're landing in the Pisa airport then going to Cinque Terre and I would have no idea where to look for something like this in Cinque Terre.

Thanks in advance!

Port Moody, Canada
reviews: 13
1. Re: Do Dual voltage flat irons really work well in Italy?

Yes they burn out and can damage one's hair. I would suck it up and look for one once you arrive in Italy. I didn't look for one myself, I had brought my own blow dryer with diffuser as my hair is naturally curly and didn't even use that in the summer as it was just way too hot and then with the humidity I don't think a flat iron would help much as within a short time I was sweating anyways. Had my hair up most times.

Isola d'Ischia...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Do Dual voltage flat irons really work well in Italy?

Hah!

Flat iron I just had to look up, because in Britain it doesn't mean the same thing at all!

Funny woman I thought, doing her hair with a travel iron?

No idea what we call them so I can't even look up an Italian brand - but surely, it either is or it isn't dual voltage?

Peter

Isola d'Ischia...
3. Re: Do Dual voltage flat irons really work well in Italy?

OK.

Here's what you need - I think - "Piastra per capelli"

Looks like this?

images.google.it/images…

For an idea of prices:

ciao.it/Piastre_e_Modellatori_per_Capelli_17…

Peter

Philadelphia
4. Re: Do Dual voltage flat irons really work well in Italy?

Millin,

I'll be going the end of October, beginning of November so I'm hoping the weather will be pleasant then. I do realize that it can be a bit rainy then but I'm hoping for the best. Actually I do have straight hair but a flat iron really makes my cut look perfect and my daughter got me hooked on them.

If I have to I will go without as I don't want to damage my hair. However I thought that if I could either use the dual voltage iron I would but have heard that they really didn't work well. I am willing to make a purchase here if I can find it but I'm not sure at this point which plug to use.

Peter I had to laugh since (I'm really dating myself now) I can remember girls back in the 60s using clothes irons to iron and straighten their hair. I didn't do that but I did try beer as a hair setter. It stunk! LOL!

Yes it's "Piastra per capelli" is what I'm referring to. I always just called it a hair straightener but only recently realized it's called a flat iron as opposed to a round iron which is a hair curler.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 35
5. Re: Do Dual voltage flat irons really work well in Italy?

This is what you need:

amazon.com/Sedu-Ionic-Ceramic-Tourmaline-Str…

I just ordered one myself for my upcoming trip because without the flat iron I look like Richard Simmons, LOL! It arrived quickly and is a little lighter than my current CHI brand. I have no way of trying it out of course, but most of the reviews are good. There are more reviews on the Folica site. There is also a 1 1/2" model, but I got the 1" as I wanted the lightest one possible.

Seattle, Washington
6. Re: Do Dual voltage flat irons really work well in Italy?

Just wanted to let anyone know that was interested that the European Sedu flatiron I posted about above worked out perfectly! I like it more than the one I use at home.

Barrie, ON
7. Re: Do Dual voltage flat irons really work well in Italy?

I am leaving in 1 1/2 weeks for Italy and was hoping an adaptor would do the trick? I, too, use a hairdryer and straightener. Does anyone know if the adaptor will do the trick.....we haven't purchased one, but plan to this week.

Thanks all.

québec
reviews: 89
8. Re: Do Dual voltage flat irons really work well in Italy?

Did anyone try a converter ??? to plug in your flatiron?? Am I missing something? you're all getting me worried and I leave friday....

Seattle, Washington
9. Re: Do Dual voltage flat irons really work well in Italy?

I had researched and read that dual voltage flat irons don't get hot enough, and the Chi flat irons say specifically not to use them with 220V. I didn't want to take any chances. There are a number of websites talking about this if you google. Yours might work fine, I just wanted to be sure so bought the Sedu and loved it.

10. Re: Do Dual voltage flat irons really work well in Italy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 14, 2010