We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

must see places in italy

Which Italy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
reviews: 13
must see places in italy

Hello

I am planning a rail trip around Italy end of March/April for about 3 weeks (probably including some car hire) and i wondered what the best places to go and see were.

I'll be travelling on my own, primarily to take photos. Apart from going to the major cities, i would love to go to traditional small towns/large villages.

So far i have on my list

Venice

Siena

Florence

Verona

Rome

Cortona

Puglia region

Lake Como/Garda

Montelpuciano

is there anywhere i am missing? Apart from Venice and Rome i haven't been to any of these places so any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially about the Puglia region.

Many thanks

Havertown...
1. Re: must see places in italy

Absolutely try to hit the Amalfi Coast.

london
2. Re: must see places in italy

okay thanks, have just added that on and it fits in beautifully to my plan

Ottawa, Ontario
reviews: 61
3. Re: must see places in italy

The Amalfi Coast is a definite must.

Verona is o.k., but I wouldn't say it is a must see. If you have the time, I would suggest visiting Cinque Terre. On the way there or back, you could also make a brief stop in Pisa.

Milan should be on the list just to see the Last Supper and the Duomo as well as to experience what an industrial Italian city is like.

Gold Coast...
reviews: 4
4. Re: must see places in italy

If you are travelling to Siena it would be worth a visit to San Gimignano, a small medieval town not too far from Siena and the countryside is so beautiful - great for photos

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 22
5. Re: must see places in italy

If you want to get some great photos, go to San Galgano, a ruined Cisterian abbey near Siena. Some of my favorite photos were taken there. Here are some photos from google (mine are not scanned yet, but they're better than these!):

http://tinyurl.com/2hqxm8

Also you should see the abbey of Sant'Antimo, just south of Montalcino; I don't think these imgages really do it justice:

http://tinyurl.com/25nzbg

Most people totally ignore the eastern half of central Italy, where I live. It's a shame, because it's a beautiful and unspoiled area.

Here are some of the scenic spots in Le Marche:

San Leo, an impressive fortress high on a cliff.

Urbino, with great views of the Ducal Palace from the hill above.

The monastery of Fonte Avellano, near the Umbrian border, in a very picturesque spot. One of the best photos I've ever taken was of the little crypt, really a little chapel, very plain and simple but exquisitely beautiful.

Gola di Furlo, a beautiful river gorge (and a favorite vacation spot of Mussolini). There is a Roman tunnel through a cliff that's still used by road traffic, but the whole area is beautiful.

The Gola della Rossa, near Genga. There is a vast cavern in the Frasassi gorge just nearby; however, I don't think photos are allowed in the cavern.

The Gola del Infernaccio near Amandola.

The Riviera del Conero, just south of Ancona. Beautiful coastline at the foot of Mount Conero.

The national park of the Sibillini, with great mountain scenery and little towns.

With google images, you can get an idea of what some of these places offer to the photographer. I am beginning to put up some of my photos on picasa web albums. You can get an idea of some of the small towns from this:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bellemarche

The Abruzzo region, just south of Le Marche also has some very beautiful mountain scenery and pretty little hill towns.

london
6. Re: must see places in italy

thanks everyone for your advice, i'm just doing a little bit more research but have added on the cinque terre which look beautiful. Looks like i might have to either extend my trip or make 2! thanks once again, much appreciated

birmingham
reviews: 7
7. Re: must see places in italy

No one mentioned beautiful Puglia. By rail the Gargano peninisula is out of reach but you can take local lines into the Murge (limestone uplands) to Ceglie Messapica from Fasano or Brindisi, where local trulli (conical houses)abound in Valle d'Istria. We always stay at Trullo Domus Aureus as its set in a beautiful countryside which you may like after visiting so many towns and cities to sample the 'Garden of Italy'. If interested, have a look at www.trullilove.co.uk website.

london
8. Re: must see places in italy

thanks for that. actually i have changed my plans somewhat and am going to spend 11 days in puglia, it looks beautiful. I'll have a look at the trulli website, thank you

9. Re: must see places in italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, September 18, 2009