We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to Buy in Italy?

Which Italy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Montgomery...
reviews: 2
What to Buy in Italy?

Hi, everyone! My husband and I will be in Italy for 2 weeks, leaving later this month. We will be in Venice, Florence, Tuscany (with a rental car), and Rome.

A question for your seasoned Italian travellers: what do you buy when you are in Italy that you just can't get in the States? I'm not thinking so much of Gucci bags and shoes (which you can get here, at any rate) as I am thinking of items to cook with, drugstore items, small leather goods, handmade items, that sort of thing. I am, of course, talking about purchases that can make it back through Customs without being discarded. (So - no exotic fungi, I guess!) Hope that makes sense, and thanks in advance for any advice/tips you can offer.

Ireland
1. Re: What to Buy in Italy?

a few bottles of grappa well wrapped in clothes, the tiny pasta shapes for the soup, decent espresso coffee and a proper pot to make it in

unavailable in ireland, dont know about boston

Ohio
reviews: 4
2. Re: What to Buy in Italy?

I bought art work. 2 oils from Giorgio at Piazza Navona and a sepia from an artist along the Grand Canal in Venice. I was so smitten with The Birth of Venus I bought a machine replicated copy painted on wood the Uffizi gift shop had for sale. These paintngs will be around for the rest of my days to give daily reminders of my first trip to Italy.

Really, really wanted a replica of the Appolo and Daphne from the Borghese gift shop. Have you seen that piece? WOW! I just couldn't tear myself away. Couldn't afford to buy it last trip but have been thinking about it alot. Still kicking my self for not buying. So this trip I had my mind set to buy and then found the Borghese is closed from the 12th until the 18th of October. These are THE days I'll be in Rome. Wouldn't ya know it. So guess I'll need a third trip.

Southwest Desert
3. Re: What to Buy in Italy?

I bought scarves in Florence. They were about $12, they are beautiful and light! Murano glass wine stoppers, spices, and wonderful memories. Carrying wine and olive oil... I would only do it again if I could afford a sherpa and the extra baggage weight. $50 ouch.

Fort Montgomery...
4. Re: What to Buy in Italy?

Thanks so much for the excellent suggestions, everyone! I will report back after the trip if I find any other buys that I am particularly proud of.

New York City, New...
reviews: 12
5. Re: What to Buy in Italy?

We just got back from a trip to the Veneto, Lake Como and Portofino. Although you won't be visiting those spots, I'll just pass on my purchases. I bought a couple of pairs of leather boots...brown "cowboy" style and black flats with that Italian pointed toe. Not designer, but nice leather and well made. I bnought a cute little silver leather purse at a market (5 Euros...the bargain of the trip!) Got another purse (red patent leather quilted) at a nice department store called Coin in Como. We also bought a LOT of olive oil. Small bottles for gifts and a few larger ones for us. Not that you can't get olive oil here, but it's fun to try different kinds now that we're home...and it reminds us of our trip. Not the lightest things to bring back, but if you pack them well and thnk ahead it works out fine. I took a lot of bubble wrap, zip lock bags and a roll of packing tape. I suggest taking an extra foldable duffle bag inside your suitcase. I lightened the weight of my suitcase on the way home by packing all my sweaters and jeans in the duffle and checking it on the way back. Wraped my olive oil in the bubble wrap and stuck it inside the boots I bought! Florence, as I recall (didn't go there on this trip) has wonderful paper goods...stationery, journals etc... Have a great trip!

6. Re: What to Buy in Italy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, September 11, 2009