We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise Day in Port

Which Valencia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cuenca, Ecuador
reviews: 13
Cruise Day in Port

I will be in Valencia on Monday, October 20 via HA cruise. In port from 8-5.

Potential itinerary below ... would appreciate suggestions on viability and any changes/recommendations. Muchas gracias !

1) Horchata and fartons at Santa Catalina (before 10:30 am)

2) Meet up at Placa de La Seu for Valencia Tourist Board Walking Tour (10:30 am, ~2.5 hours)

[ 1:00 PM ]

3) Lunch (hopefully paella at beach, La Pepica or L'estimat)

4) Oceanografico (aquarium only, no need to see dolphin show)

I need to be back on the boat, probably by 4:15-4:30 at the latest to be safe.

Questions ... if I head to the beach at 1:00 for lunch, will I have time to visit the aquarium and do it justice? Will swapping #3 & #4 make any difference? In order to save time, should I plan to have lunch somewhere in Old Town near the end of my walking tour ? Any recommendations ?

7 replies to this topic
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia
reviews: 2,537
1. Re: Cruise Day in Port

Tomas:

I would have lunch downtown after your walking tour. Every restaurant there will have paella. The beach is too far to go just for lunch.

You need time for the Oceanografic because it is a huge place. This is the best aquarium in Spain (probably the best in Europe). I have seen it 3 times already and am fascinated by what I see there.

The horchata is made from tiger nuts and I really did not care for it. However try it and see if you like it.

Cuenca, Ecuador
2. Re: Cruise Day in Port

BennyMalaga ... thanks .. i was leaning that way, and, actually may just grab some take-away snacks at the mercado when we go through on the walking tour. This will give me the max time at the aquarium.

I'll have to hit you up for some Malaga info too ... will be there 2 days later (22 de Octubre).

Tomas

Doncaster
Destination Expert
for Lassi
reviews: 29
3. Re: Cruise Day in Port

Hi!

What an itinerary!

Although Horchateria Santa Catalina is a great place to visit, as you are in port for 8 a.m., why not head directly to the Mercado Central and Horchateria La Huertana - stand at the counter and enjoy your horchata and fartons in this beautiful building and enjoy the atmosphere.

Lunch is not a quick affair in Valencia! Benny's idea is excellent, but take care - we tried to eat at 1 p.m. but were told by the waiter that lunch didn't begin until 2 p.m. He also said that most other places would be the same.

You will need plenty of time to visit the Oceanografic - if time is short I recommend heading directly to the Ocean exhibit (usually the final part of the visit).

You are going to have a hectic time in Valencia, when really you should be sitting back and enjoying the atmosphere - sit at a pavement café for lunch and then wander down into Plaza del Ayuntamiento, enjoy a drink there and grab your taxi back to the port.

Colin

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia
reviews: 2,537
4. Re: Cruise Day in Port

Tomas:

There are two restaurants at the City of Arts and Sciences. There is an expensive one and an inexpensive cafeteria.

Cuenca, Ecuador
5. Re: Cruise Day in Port

Colin .. thank you. I hope it isn't too hectic ... we are in port for 9 hours and assuming 2 hours for dis-embarking and embarking .. i was looking at a 7 hours in Valencia. If I skip a sit down lunch, a 2 hour walking tour and a visit to the aquarium don't seem like a lot to get done .. plus there is a little time prior to 10:30 walking tour to wander some ?

Doncaster
Destination Expert
for Lassi
reviews: 29
6. Re: Cruise Day in Port

If you have time before 10.30, I recommend a wander around the central market and the area between there and Santa Catalina. Sit down in Plaza de la Reina and enjoy the atmosphere.

If you want a quick lunch, try the pinchos at Lizarran on the Plaza del Ayuntamiento (about 10 minutes walk from Plaza de la Seu). They are ready prepared, and the chef is constantly preparing fresh hot pinchos that sell out in no time. Reviews here: tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187529-…

Edited: 12:41 pm, July 22, 2014
Valencia, Spain
reviews: 4
7. Re: Cruise Day in Port

Hi, I'm an architect who can teach you the city of Valencia in the limited time adapting to cruise down ...

You'll love the city and its rich history , its cuisine and its special climate.. You can contact me at napeduo@yahoo.es. Thank you.

Reply to: Cruise Day in Port
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted