We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Firefly Car Rental

Which Murcia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hessle
reviews: 12
Firefly Car Rental

I know there are numerous threads on car hire at Murcia airport, but despite doing a search on here, I can't find anything about Firefly Car Hire. I've booked through Do You Spain and I know they are only a broker, not the car hire company, but I just can't find anything. They operate out of a van in the car park. I have used Dickmanns before, who I know got a bit of a slating on here, so I do get the van concept, just wondered if anyone had used Firefly and what their experience was. Thanks.

117 replies to this topic
Maidstone, United...
21. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Just rented a car from Firefly at Madrid Airport via Rentalcars.com.Got told I needed extra insurance cover for damage to tyres,wheels,lights and all glass and breakdown recovery. WAs to be an extra 79 euros. I declined!

When I returned the car 2 weeks later I was told by the only person working for Firefly at that time that because I didnt take out extra cover I would have to wait until he had dealt with the other 5 people in his queue so that he could physically come and inspect the car. 1 hour later after he had tried his selling technique on everyone else in the queue it took him 2 minutes to inspect my car! He was telling people that if they took out the extra comprehensive they would not have to wait to get the car inspected when they returned as any damage would not matter. I have rented cars in a few countries where it doesn't even on a bad day take an hour to complete the rental agreement but an hour to return a vehicle? Will avoid this lot in the future

Sheffield, United...
reviews: 1
22. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Hi just wondering how you got on with resolving this charge. I have just returned from Murcia - hired firefly car and have been charged £214 when I was expecting a charge for fuel for a Ford Fiesta.

Regards

Violet Chapman

Sheffield, United...
23. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Re Firefly Car Rental Murcia. I have to report that I am very unhappy with the experience I have had with Firefly at Murcia airport. I booked with Doyouspain as an agent, which I have used in the past and been pleased with, this time they booked my car with Firefly which operates out of a van in the airport carpark. On arrival they tried to hard sell the additional insurance to the point that it was a nuisance. they kept stating that the day before two cars had to be towed back and the people renting had to pay 300 euros to get themselves recovered as they did not have insurance covering themselves we stated that we would be disappointed if the cars were so reliable they were breaking down but they just went on and on about the need for the extra insurance. When we got to our it was covered in dents and scrapes the doors the wheel arches - every where. e got one of the attendants and he just shrugged his shoulders and said minor body damage is acceptable. We took pictures of the damage as we were very concerned but they would not provide an alternative. The car was fine for our two weeks but now on return I have discovered that we have been charged £214 when I was expecting a charge for a tank of fuel for a Ford Fiesta. Trying to find contact details for Firefly is proving difficult - their customer service send a message page is not functional. I have emailed Doyouspain and am awaiting a response.

Scotland
reviews: 7
24. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Violet,

Try posting in a thread on the Spain forum titled "do you Spain.com Claire and Jose"

Give Jose details of your booking and hopefully he will be able to get your refund, worked for me and from the thank you's in the thread a lot of other people as well.

Newry, United...
25. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Our experience with Firefly was NOT GOOD. We booked thru Ryanair/Hertz. Hertz does not have an office inside the terminal building at Murcia/San Javier Airport. Instead, they operate via Firefly which operates out of a van in the carpark. Finding them was the first problem. Despite the helpfulness of airport staff, their directions wern't always clear. We found them eventually.

At Firefly, we were expecting to pay 200euros for the car - that's what it said on the booking form we had. However, all these add-ons suddenly started appearing - road tax, breakdown insurance, fuel, added driver etc., the final amount was almost double.

I was irate & I told the salesperson that this final amount should be stated on the sheet we had & we should have known this at the point of booking. She said this was not Firefly's problem & that I would need to take it up with the broker, pointing at some code on the sheet.

She said she could take out the breakdown assistance, but we would have to pay a deposit of 300euros. This all sounded like a total swindle. I considered going to one of the other car rentals inside the terminal - and then, she was saying she couldn't gaurantee the offer would still be in the system if we came back. In the end, we gave her the money.

It was a stressful start to our holiday. There was no problems with the car. It did its job. Left it back with only a dribble of petrol in it.

I will definitely NOT be doing business again with Firefly. I do question how long they can stay in business if this is how they treat their customers. Next time, I will be taking my custom to one of the car rental operators inside the terminal - europcar; goldcar or the like

Dublin, Ireland
26. Re: Firefly Car Rental

I am very disappointed with the way I was treated by Firefly car rentals. I felt I was robbed of €30 for cleaning of seats when I am fully satisfied that they were not dirtied or stained while I had rented the car.

I went to Firefly’s office to collect the car and was given the key and told where the car was parked. There were no staff in the carpark to check the car with me. The car was old and had numerous scrapes, dents and various damage to the exterior. I went back to the office and informed the staff (who were now very busy with a significant queue) that the car was damaged. They said that they knew about it and not to worry. I took it from that conversation that the implication was that they were aware of any and all “damage” to the car.

When I returned the car, they did send someone out to check it and she immediately went to check the seats. She said that the back seat was stained and also the front passenger seat. There was a faint mark of some type of spillage on the front seat. I told her that I did not damage the car and I didn’t even use the back seat. The firefly representative choose to ignore me and placed a €30 cleaning charge on my credit card. I find this totally objectionable and nothing short of stealing.

Some other things I’ve learned from this experience,

The full to empty regime on the fuel is also a means of scamming the customer. Firstly they charge you €119.79 (€99+VAT) for a full tank. This is 52 litres of fuel for a Opel Astra. The average cost of petrol in Spain is €1.54/liter which would mean a full tank would cost €80.08. Firefly overcharge to the tune of nearly €40 for fuel.

Secondly it is difficult to judge how to leave the car back with a minimal amount of fuel. I think there was about €25 worth of petrol in the tank when I left the car back.

This company is owned by Hertz and it was their account that was credited with funds from my bank card.

Edited: 7:33 pm, August 22, 2013
London, United...
27. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Firefly ok, just like most rentals regarding fuel etc, but would definitely not book through do you Spain. Needed to extend my car hire and my credit card was charged, no invoice sent and then firefly rang me to ask why the car had not been returned. Rang do you Spain on numerous times and hey never returned my calls and no reply from emails. Would not go through them again as its not worth the saving of a few extra pounds.

Luton, United...
28. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Have just returned from Murcia, had a hire car from fire fly which was quoted at £350 on do you spain but account debited £598.00. We only had an Aygo, tiny car with no boot!!! no way it could hold £248 of fuel!!!!

Their additional charges are out of proportion and they should not be allowed to advertise cheaper prices than they allow you to collect the car for. Back to carjet as we have always used previously!!!

London, United...
reviews: 15
29. Re: Firefly Car Rental

We have rented from Firefly in Valencia at least 20 times over the last few years and can not fault them for price and service.They are part of Hertz so you can't really go wrong.Always book through Doyouspain,pay on arrival.If you see the price has reduced before you go you can cancel the booking at no charge and book at the new price.

Barnsley, South...
reviews: 17
30. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Hi, we used doyouspain for car hire (june 2013) n when the voucher came it was with firefly 52 euros. When we got to Murcia nowhere on the invoice was 52euros, when I questioned this they just said take car or leave it, but at 10 at night not much choice!! When we checked car noticed petrol tank was only quarter full, not full as charged for. I returned to kiosk n pointed this out and they issued me with amended paperwork assuring us refund would be made in 10 days. To date despite writing to firefly head office twice via registered mail, and emailing, to date (September) we have received no reply and no refund. DON'T Book acar with these, and if you do check everything before driving off.

Reply to: Firefly Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted