We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labour Day weekend 2014

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
reviews: 50
Labour Day weekend 2014

Hi,

Apologies if this query has popped up many times already but I was hoping for specific information on restrictions on the May 1 weekend in Madrid. We're planning on flying in late on Thur 1 May and staying until the Monday night (5 May). I believe there'll be no problem getting the metro in from airport on arrival, but I have these main questions:

On Friday 2 May, will all the shops be closed? What about many of the sights/attractions and cafes?

We were hoping to do a day-trip to Toledo, possibly on the Sunday, but will trains be a nightmare as everyone is travelling?

Basically, as the flights are the same price for the prior weekend (24-28 April), are we better off booking the late April weekend instead? Thanks in advance.

4 replies to this topic
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
reviews: 10
1. Re: Labour Day weekend 2014

It's not only Labour day, May 2 is a local holiday in Madrid. I do not believe you will have a my problems with transport, I would be more concerned about closures and finding a city quieter than usual, as probably many locals will fly away. I would rather visit in the prior weekend and enjoy the city running as usual.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
reviews: 235
2. Re: Labour Day weekend 2014

I agree with Belsaita. My memory of Labor Day was that the city was extremely quiet (many people headed off on the holiday). I think you will still be able to enjoy parts of Madrid for sure (Retiro, Sol, Plaza Mayor) but museums are closed so much of what one might want to see isn't going to be open. That said, perhaps it's the perfect time to come if what you want is a quiet time in Madrid to stroll and take in the city by foot. There is quite a lot to be said for that as well!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid
reviews: 2,230
3. Re: Labour Day weekend 2014

Byron:

You can buy your train tickets online.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c107037/Madri…

Dublin
reviews: 50
4. Re: Labour Day weekend 2014

Okay, thank you all for your advice - very much appreciated. Have decided to book a weekend a couple of weeks later in May now.

Reply to: Labour Day weekend 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted