We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid, Barcelona, Marrakesh

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
13 posts
Madrid, Barcelona, Marrakesh

Hey All,

Just looking for some help with an itinerary I am trying to create. I will be in Madrid from March 22nd - April 1st and was hoping to squeeze in as much as possible. I would love to visit both Marrakesh, Morocco and Barcelona, Spain. I know this is a lot to cram in 9 days but was looking for any advice on keeping costs down and what order to hit up these places. My current flights land and leave out of Madrid with no ability to change them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21,748 posts
54 reviews
1. Re: Madrid, Barcelona, Marrakesh

I think 3 places in 9 days is really stretching it. And I would also check flights to Morocco as they don't leave from everywhere nor necessarily land in Marrakech.

We have found Barcelona to be so full of things to see and do that a whole week was too short. We have had two stays in Madrid or three days and four days and loved it.

We recently went to Morocco, including Marrakech. It was fascinating and worth visiting but I think you need more than just a day or two there. It really is very different and you almost have to get a different mind-set to appreciate it.

I'd stick with Madrid and Barcelona. You can fly or travel between them by high speed train which is quite an adventure.

Boston...
13 posts
2. Re: Madrid, Barcelona, Marrakesh

I completely understand that it's cramming a lot. I live in NY and I don't know when I will ever be able to go back to that side of the world so I'm trying to get to as many places as possible. Not visiting Morocco really isn't an option as my wife really has her heart set on it. I guess cutting out Barcelona might need to happen....

South Australia
Level Contributor
24,744 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Madrid, Barcelona, Marrakesh

www.ryanair.com fly Madrid to Marrakesh www.vueling.com fly Marrakesh to Barcelona

When flying low cost airlines be aware of checkin and luggage. restrictions

Accommodation www.venere.com

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
19,556 posts
245 reviews
4. Re: Madrid, Barcelona, Marrakesh

Nuri-bear,

Would you make plans for next March via Ryanair?

South Australia
Level Contributor
24,744 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Madrid, Barcelona, Marrakesh

Counsellor Gigis_mum that is a leading question, and the answer is; I'm just the messenger !! :)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
12,643 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Madrid, Barcelona, Marrakesh

>I guess cutting out Barcelona might need to happen....<

I think that's a good idea, if Marrakech is non-negotiable. Two cities in nine days is quite enough, and you'll enjoy them, and your entire trip, more if you don't try to cram in a third.

Bear in mind that if you stuck to your idea of seeing all three, although the distances and the flights are short, you'd be using up the better part of two of your nine days just shifting from each city to the next.

Madrid and Marrakech will be an exciting, inspiring combination.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,539 posts
24 reviews
7. Re: Madrid, Barcelona, Marrakesh

I'd spend 2/3 days in Marrakesh. It is a wonderful city but there is not much to visit, so it could be a relaxing pause from Madrid's wild pace.

As for the rest, with just 9 days (-2/3 in Marrakesh) I would say stay in Madrid and maybe do 1/2 daytrips (Toledo or Segovia).

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
19,556 posts
245 reviews
8. Re: Madrid, Barcelona, Marrakesh

I think it's safer to make plans using Vueling and not Ryanair.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k59328…

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
826 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: Madrid, Barcelona, Marrakesh

Gigi: I have to agree, Ryanair keep cutting services and increasing their fees!

Edited: 10:41 am, November 29, 2012
Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
33 reviews
10. Re: Madrid, Barcelona, Marrakesh

Does not sound like fun. Madrid, Barcelona and Marrakesh in 9 days can technically be done but sounds exhausting, stressful, and not fun. 9 days is just enough for Madrid and Barcelona. I would never interrupt a fantastic trip to Spain by going to Morocco. If you must go to Morocco I would save it for a separate trip.