We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Madrid for a Weekend

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Traveling to Madrid for a Weekend

I live in Puerto Santa Maria. I would like to go to Madrid for a weekend I would like to keep things on the affordable side. Do to a contract I am in, I ca't fly to Madrid but can take train or bus. What is the best, most affordable way to get to madrid for a weekend? I am interested in art, parks, historical sites and architecture. What would your perfect madrid weekend include? Thanks! Any hostel/hotel reccomendarions?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
reviews: 2,594
1. Re: Traveling to Madrid for a Weekend

California:

You can take the train from Puerto Santa Maria to Seville and then take another train from Seville to Madrid.

Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

Read the top questions on the right panel for what to see.

PS: I used to live in San Jose, CA.

London, United...
reviews: 10
2. Re: Traveling to Madrid for a Weekend

My perfect weekend in Madrid would include lots of time spent at the Prado over at least two visits, plus time at the Thyssen, and time at the Reina Sofia, with walks in the Retiro Park and the Botanic Gardens in between. That's two of your four interests covered, and the others can be satisfied by just strolling around the central area to see what you can se of this lively, interesting city.

There are a number of other excellent museums, but those are the three major ones, and I doubt you'd have time for any more. If you do, the Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando has a fine collection of Spanish painting, including a large number of Goyas.

Have a look at the Hostal Gonzalo. I've always stayed there, and love it. It's quiet, comfortable, clean, reasonably priced, run by a friendly, helpful family - and a few minutes walk from the Prado and the Thyssen.

www.hostalgonzalo.com/

Edited: 3:50 am, November 22, 2012
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
reviews: 212
3. Re: Traveling to Madrid for a Weekend

I just travelled from Jerez to Madrid by the 4 times a day ALVIA train. You do not need to change trains at Seville and whilst it may take a little longer (minutes) than taking a train up to Seville then changing the ALVIA is a nice smooth comfortable train with film if you want and there is a buffet bar as well. Takes about 4 hours and this is a Cadiz to Madrid service and also stops at Puerto. I booked online in advance and was lucky to get a discounted web ticket costing less than €30 one way. You may be able to buy one of these discounted RENFE web tickets but first come first serve however the standard return fare from Puerto de Santa Maria seems to be about €113. I booked and paid for the ticket online then printed it off, but you can do the same and keep a note of the reference number called LOCALIZADOR and you can print your ticket off at Jerez station. Not sure if El Puerto station has the service as well but fairly sure it does. Hopefully your bank card will allow you to get this done OK as some American banks seem to not be able to work with RENFE but if you have used your card in Spain before then should be OK. You can always visit the station and buy or a local travel agent who will want some small commission.

Train comes into ATOCHA station which is within walking to the Prado and other sights.

The other option is to use the bus costing around €50 return. 8 hours if you can grin and bear that ! http://www.socibus.es That's 8 hours each way!

California
4. Re: Traveling to Madrid for a Weekend

thanks for your help!

5. Re: Traveling to Madrid for a Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, December 16, 2013