We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid Terrain

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Pablo...
reviews: 24
Madrid Terrain

Greetings!

Another question that only Trip Advisor can answer...

I have problems with one knee and so would prefer to keep to level ground for walking. This of course puts a crimp in my travel style, since I really enjoy walking in cities like Madrid. The 'only' way to see new places for me is from the ground.

What areas should I avoid? Gradual inclines are fine, hills are not. I'm ready to book a fabulous flat on Plaza de la Paja, but the Google Street Views give me concern.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Terri

Los Angeles...
reviews: 15
1. Re: Madrid Terrain

In a thread a few weeks ago, I said it's hilly and someone else said it's flat.

So maybe to describe it better, all of Madrid slopes somewhat toward the river, which flows on the southwest and south of the city.

Some areas are pretty flat. There are some long, gradual slopes. Some long, steeper slopes. And a few drop-offs. I read that the Paseo del Prado was once a stream.

Seems to me, walking north or south from Plaza de la Paja you'll have slopes or stairs to climb, but walking east, then turning north toward Puerta del Sol would give you a more level path.

See this google map for the river's position:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=plaza+de+la+paja,+madrid&sll=40.415064,-3.68969&sspn=0.059859,0.154495&ie=UTF8&ll=40.420684,-3.691921&spn=0.059854,0.154495&t=p&z=13

2. Re: Madrid Terrain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, October 21, 2009