We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid layover

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo, NY
Madrid layover

I have a 7 hour layover in Madrid. What should/can I do in that time? Traveling in early June.

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 24
1. Re: Madrid layover

Anyone have any ideas? I have a six hour layover the end of March. What what I found, I can take the metro into the city (45 minutes each way?). Less time to Nuevos Ministerios. Metro #8 then transfer to #10.

Any ideas of specific things to do/see/eat near these?

I figure if I am back at the airport 60-70 minutes before departure (just carry on luggage, will already have my continuing boarding pass for a flight within the EU), I should be fine.

That would give me 2+ hours in the city, probably more.

John

Los Angeles...
reviews: 15
2. Re: Madrid layover

You can certainly make it into the center and back with a 6-7 hr layover. But the airport's big, so figure 30 min each way from plane to train, more if you arrive at the T4 satellite terminal and must use the airport train, more if you must clear immigration.

Some people would say you're nuts to try it, but if you're confident with a map and mass transit, it's do-able. I'd plan to arrive back at the airport closer to 2 hr before departure, but I may be overly cautious.

Since Spain is particular about mealtimes, only try for a nice sit-down meal if you'd hit downtown between 1 and 3pm or 9pm to midnight. Otherwise, plan to walk around and stop in any bar for an informal sandwich or tapas. I can't offer great restaurant advice, but if you're walking as I suggest below, the area south of Puerta del Sol, roughly between Plaza Mayor and Plaza de Santa Ana has a lot of restaurants.

Here's a possible walking route (with much downhill slope): Metro to Plaza de Espana, walk down Gran Via, right on Calle de Preciados to Puerta del Sol, then to Plaza Mayor, then east on Calle de la Bolsa to Plaza de Santa Ana, to Calle de las Huertas, down Paseo del Prado to the Atocha station. See the station interior then onto the metro. Or, stop at the nearest metro station at any point on the trek.

To save maybe 15-20 min each way, (unless it's rush hour) you could take taxis.

If you do the math and can't justify going into Madrid, you could kill some time enjoying the beautiful new T4 architecture.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
reviews: 11
3. Re: Madrid layover

good advice above

it is doable, but allow at least 90 min before your flight at the very minimun

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 24
4. Re: Madrid layover

Thanks for your feedback. I lived in Europe for a long time so I am comfortable with public transit and unless my flight into Madrid is late, I will definitely go into the city.

One more question if I may ask - I looked on the Madrid Airport website but I couldn't find the answer. Would there be an information counter in the airport where I could pick up a free map? Not a big deal - your description above was excellent.

Thanks.

John

Los Angeles...
reviews: 15
5. Re: Madrid layover

I don't remember one specifically, but from the aena.es website:

Madrid-Barajas Airport Tourist Information Point

Terminal 4 (Arrivals. Halls 10 and 11)

28042 Madrid

Telephone: 902 100 007/915 881 636

Opening hours: 9:00 to 20:00

Madrid-Barajas Airport Tourist Office (Regional Government of Madrid)

Terminal 1 (Arrivals)

28042 Madrid

Telephone: 913 058 656 / 902 100 007

Fax: 913 054 195

Or, if you google map the center of madrid, you could zoom to the level you need and print it on 2 or so pages.

Or find a cheap map at a news kiosk in the airport or on the Gran Via.

Have a great layover!

Johannesburg
6. Re: Madrid layover

How about giving us an update of what you did and whther it was worth it?

7. Re: Madrid layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, March 30, 2010