We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gibraltar - work for a short period

Which Gibraltar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Frankfurt an der...
reviews: 2
Gibraltar - work for a short period

Dears,

i'm an italian guy. I'm graduated (bechelor). now i'm studying for a master in business administration.

my english is not very well.

At the end of february i will finish all my exams for the master. i'm thinking to go in an english country to improve my english and work as a weiter (for example).

I can live in the english country from march until october. I need only the time for complete the master in june (for example 10 days).

now "i'm choosing" the country for this period.

I don't want leave the europe so the choices maybe are: ireland, united kingdom and malta. another place is gibraltar, i know that is part of UK but it is in spain!

so, i have done a short list of pros and cons. Ireland could be the better choice for the cost of life but I have read that the crisis has reduced the request of work in Dublin and it is not easy find a job without a perfect english.

the second choice maybe could be gibraltar. i'm here to ask you some question about this country. i think that it can be a good choice because I know some Spanish (low level), maybe is not expensive like london if for example i live on the border and the weather is better then england!

i try to do some question.

Is gibraltar real english? i need improve english, if people speak only spanish is not good for me!

is it easy to find job like waiter?

what do you think about my reasoning?

thank you!

Gibraltar
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
reviews: 8
1. Re: Gibraltar - work for a short period

Your research seems a little off if I might say so.

Out of the places you have mentioned, Ireland has by far the highest cost of living.

Gibraltar is not a great place to learn English. The de facto language amongst service industry workers is most definitely spanish. Most local people will also talk to each other in Spanish. Also, the level of English spoken here is very poor.

Frankfurt an der...
2. Re: Gibraltar - work for a short period

Ehm...where can I go?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
reviews: 34
3. Re: Gibraltar - work for a short period

ouch Murray!.....Poor English spoken in Gibraltar???

To improve your command of the English language you have to live in a place where only English is spoken. That is the main reason students learning a different language do placements abroad. I understand why you would like to live in Gibraltar for a few months....great weather and much cheaper than London but I don't think your plan will work as locals tend to speak a lot of Spanish.

Where can you go? England?

Frankfurt an der...
4. Re: Gibraltar - work for a short period

I understand. English is the best answer but it is really expensive! I'm thinking to go to Glasgow!

Gibraltar
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
reviews: 8
5. Re: Gibraltar - work for a short period

Glasgow? It really is a great city, with lots to see and do, and the locals are a friendly bunch...but even as a native English speaker, I struggle to understand the accent!

Malta is probably your safest bet. In a lot of ways it reminds be of Gibraltar, just on a much bigger scale.Chances are that there will be a good mixture of Italian and English speakers there, and its not too far from "home".

Frankfurt an der...
6. Re: Gibraltar - work for a short period

Malta is not really English. I'm Italian so there is a big risk that I don't learn English.

The accent can be a problem in your opinion? And what do you think about Cardiff?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
7. Re: Gibraltar - work for a short period

Cardiff is great. Much easier to understand the accent than Glasgow. It's quite a compact city but with lots to do and much cheaper than London for accomodation etc. Thumbs up for Cardiff!

Frankfurt an der...
8. Re: Gibraltar - work for a short period

but, the gaelic can't be a problem? i'm scared that the "second language" can be a limit.

do you know something about Birmingham? is it expensive?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
9. Re: Gibraltar - work for a short period

Everyone speaks English in Cardiff. It's only in the smaller places/vilages that people speak in Welsh.

I think you should post in the forums of the cities you're interested in. We're way off topic here!

Edited: 6:13 am, January 28, 2013
10. Re: Gibraltar - work for a short period

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:43 pm, July 01, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Gibraltar